none
Autocad shapes and data graphic visibility RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having problems with the color by value data graphic and autocad shapes.  I have:

-sucessfully imported an adtocad drawing

-linked it to the correct data base

-converted the layer with the polylines to a visio layer

-linked each data element to the correct polyline.

But I cannot get the color by value to work with the imported shapes.  All the other data graphic elements work (text, data bar, icon set)  but the color by value does not show up.  when I create  dummy shapes in visio, and link it a data row, it works.  I've tried making very simple autocad drawings with just 4 polylines and importing.  no luck.  I'v tried every layer on and solid fill combination and still nothing.  Is there something I'm missing?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi TICODA,

I think that maybe your AutoCAD objects might not be handling fills very well.

Can you select one of your AutoCAD shapes and successfully apply a fill? I think the problem is that often ACAD objects are drawn with separate lines. In Visio, a rectangle is a rectangle, and Visio knows it is closed. In ACAD, a rectangle may be four lines with coincident vertices. Visio doesn't know that it is a closed.

You mentioned polylines, so maybe you are way ahead of me.

Another possibility is that you have layer-coloring turned on. When Visio colors a layer, the fills of objects stay white and only the outlines turn color. Go into the Layer Properties dialog and have a look for checked boxes in the Color column.

Hope this gets you closer to a solution!

Chris Roth Visio Guy (http://www.visguy.com)
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 2:52 PM