Build and Deploy Solution RRS feed

• Question

• I've set up a Build Type in TFS which includes a VSTS-DP project.  When I run this build the solution is copied to the test server but the database isn't deployed.

I'm probably missing something pretty fundamental / basic here but what do I need to do other than that in order to get the solution to deployed on the target server?  If it's something to do with the build file (tfsbuild.proj) could you post an example of how this is achieved.  Thanks.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:27 PM

Answers

• After checking this out - this functionality is not available in the current CTP. The plan is that it will be available in the final product. These actions to build and deploy will be supported as msbuild tasks, so they should be available from a TFS build type. Obviously the machine on which you choose to execute the build from the TFS build type must have our product installed and a SQL Server instance running. The functionality is not there yet.
    Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:33 PM
  • You will be able to build and deploy by RTM if not earlier.
    Wednesday, July 5, 2006 5:22 PM

All replies

• I'm actually looking at this today. I can let you know on this forum and post an example, if necessary.
    Thursday, June 29, 2006 3:55 PM
  • After checking this out - this functionality is not available in the current CTP. The plan is that it will be available in the final product. These actions to build and deploy will be supported as msbuild tasks, so they should be available from a TFS build type. Obviously the machine on which you choose to execute the build from the TFS build type must have our product installed and a SQL Server instance running. The functionality is not there yet.
    Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:33 PM
  • Any idea on dates for a release that might include this? 

We are also keen to build and deploy AS and RS solutions from TFS.  RS at least doesn't seem to be supported yet from other posts I've seen.  Are you able to provide an update on these or should I post elsewhere? 

It's frustrating that we can't builld with the current technologies that we're developing with.

Thanks.

Friday, June 30, 2006 9:19 AM
  • You will be able to build and deploy by RTM if not earlier.
    Wednesday, July 5, 2006 5:22 PM