none
How can I create a driver package RRS feed

• Question

• I have a driver package that consists of a USBccgp driver and two WinUSB drivers. Each in their own project, all under the same solution. How do I package all of this so that I can give the bundle to other users?

I tried following the recipe at Creating a Driver Package, but the dialogs I see don't look like the screen shots in the page. I tried manually adding references from the Driver Package to the individual drivers, but that didn't seem to help either.

Also, do each of the driver projects get their own .cat file, or should I be generating individual .cat files?

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:06 PM

All replies

• Without the exact error messages/results we cannot help you, because telling us only that it doesn't work isn't helpful.

A .CAT file contains the signatures for the drivers installed by a single .INF file; so you need one .CAT file per .INF

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:00 PM
  • Without the exact error messages/results we cannot help you, because telling us only that it doesn't work isn't helpful.

A .CAT file contains the signatures for the drivers installed by a single .INF file; so you need one .CAT file per .INF

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

OK, thanks; that was somewhat helpful. I also discovered that if I create a "Driver install Package", I get all of my .cat and .inf files collected into one place, so I guess that's what the Driver Install Package is supposed to do.

How do I go about:

a) Sharing these drivers with other engineers on my team, and

b) Giving these drivers to a customer?

I should add that when I gave the .inf and .cat files to my co-workers, they received the error message: "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it" -- "The install class is not present or is invalid"

(Disregard; we forgot to set testsign on with bcdedit.)

Also, the driver is just a WinUSB driver, so there's no corresponding .sys.

Co-worker is trying to install on Windows 7.

• Edited by Edward Falk Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:05 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:30 PM
  • For customers, you'll need to write an installer. For your internal developers you could use DevCon

-Brian

Thursday, February 2, 2017 6:58 PM