locked
File name with URL encoded characters (ü-> %C3%BC) in the AppPackage

    Question

  • Hello together,

    in my store app under Windows 8.1 I use file names with german characters such as ä, ö, ü,... because these names should be used as the display text. When I generate the AppPackage with VS 2013 all special characters are URL encoded (e.g. ü-> %C3%BC). I suppose that as a result the app does not function correctly, if it has been installed from the store out. Are there problems with special characters in file names in the AppPackages generally?

    Thank you very much for your help.

    Regards
    Torsten

    Wednesday, October 08, 2014 1:32 PM

Answers

  • That should be quoted only within the appx package. Once the file is deployed it should be expanded back to the original text.

    I just confirmed this by adding a file Gepäckstücke.txt to my project and creating a development package. Looking in the zip file I see it quoted as you describe, but after deploying the project to my system the original Gepäckstücke.txt name is in the installed app package in \Program Files\windowsapps\<my project>\Gepäckstücke.txt

    --Rob

    • Marked as answer by Torsten Menzel Thursday, October 09, 2014 1:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 08, 2014 9:53 PM
    Owner

All replies

  • Can you explain in more detail? Where are these characters converted? In which file names?
    Wednesday, October 08, 2014 2:33 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Rob,
    if I open the package *.appx as ZIP-file (rename the extension) I see, that e.g. the file "Gepäckstücke.txt" (pieces of luggage) is converted to Gep%C3%A4ckst%C3%BCcke.txt. I just wonder, if the filesystem has problems with special characters. If I zip a folder with german file names with the Zip-function of the explorer, there is no convertion to be seen. May be the convertion is reversed, wenn the app is installed.
    Thank you for your help.
    Torsten
    Wednesday, October 08, 2014 4:32 PM
  • That should be quoted only within the appx package. Once the file is deployed it should be expanded back to the original text.

    I just confirmed this by adding a file Gepäckstücke.txt to my project and creating a development package. Looking in the zip file I see it quoted as you describe, but after deploying the project to my system the original Gepäckstücke.txt name is in the installed app package in \Program Files\windowsapps\<my project>\Gepäckstücke.txt

    --Rob

    • Marked as answer by Torsten Menzel Thursday, October 09, 2014 1:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 08, 2014 9:53 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Rob,
    thank you for your help, then it should work.
    Torsten
    Thursday, October 09, 2014 1:20 PM