none
How to update a lokal database online? Web Service? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody..

I develope a C#.NET Application  that uses a lokal database. This SW will be used by several (~100) users from different locations. We have a SQL Server 2005. The application has to connect to this database and get or send some rows from a few tables (lets say  "run a query")(a full synchronisation is not needed).

Actually I want to use a Web Service to do this. But I have no experience with it. I wanted to ask whether thisis the best solution for my problem? What are the securty problems. How can i solve them?

Thanks....

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 5:37 AM

Answers

•  MA. wrote:

Hi everybody..

I develope a C#.NET Application that uses a lokal database. This SW will be used by several (~100) users from different locations. We have a SQL Server 2005. The application has to connect to this database and get or send some rows from a few tables (lets say "run a query")(a full synchronisation is not needed).

Actually I want to use a Web Service to do this. But I have no experience with it. I wanted to ask whether thisis the best solution for my problem? What are the securty problems. How can i solve them?

Thanks....

I have created multiple web services at my past/ current jobs which handled large amounts of data. I have not run into any problems with large amounts of data.

The webservice is a great option because you have the DAL in the webservice and the user does not have to have any client side database specific modules installed to access the database. That is all on the web service. I recommend you use a web service and have the business logic and the DAL in that area and allow your consumers to access the web service.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:29 PM
  • 100 kb is not a problem Smile

large would be in the magnitude of MB's

Hope this helps you out 

Thursday, July 12, 2007 8:41 PM
  • Yeah, 100Kb is not a problem at all. However, always think to the future. If you build a web service for this, and either the data grows, or someone else likes it so much they start using it for massive queries, you'll be in for a problem. I've run into this problem many times; entering a new company to find that someone who no longer works there built something that is now handling 100 times the load it was designed for.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:08 PM

All replies

• A webservice can be a convenient way to insert, update and retrieve small amounts of data from a database. If you plan to have a large number of users or a larger quantity of data, I would suggest creating a DAL (Data Access Layer). There is a very good article about how to go about that using MSSQL 2005 and VS.NET here.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 12:52 PM
  •  MA. wrote:

Hi everybody..

I develope a C#.NET Application that uses a lokal database. This SW will be used by several (~100) users from different locations. We have a SQL Server 2005. The application has to connect to this database and get or send some rows from a few tables (lets say "run a query")(a full synchronisation is not needed).

Thanks....

I have created multiple web services at my past/ current jobs which handled large amounts of data. I have not run into any problems with large amounts of data.

The webservice is a great option because you have the DAL in the webservice and the user does not have to have any client side database specific modules installed to access the database. That is all on the web service. I recommend you use a web service and have the business logic and the DAL in that area and allow your consumers to access the web service.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:29 PM
  • Just keep in mind that anything that goes to and from a webservice has to be serialized and deserialized. Generally it's not the best approach to large sets of data from a sheer performance standpoint. I have also found that "large" is an extremely subjective adjective.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:48 PM
  • Thank you all for the replies.

As it is written, "Large" is subjektiv. For example I will try to get an XML data fromthe web service and it can have more then 2000 Rows (~100kB). Is that possible?

Thanks

Thursday, July 12, 2007 5:32 AM
  • 100 kb is not a problem Smile

large would be in the magnitude of MB's

Hope this helps you out 

Thursday, July 12, 2007 8:41 PM
  • Yeah, 100Kb is not a problem at all. However, always think to the future. If you build a web service for this, and either the data grows, or someone else likes it so much they start using it for massive queries, you'll be in for a problem. I've run into this problem many times; entering a new company to find that someone who no longer works there built something that is now handling 100 times the load it was designed for.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:08 PM