none
Accessing Network OSI Layer 2 Data Link in .Net RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We are using CobraNet to communicate from our Desktop app (C# .Net 4) to our devices. CobraNet is Layer 2 based. At this moment we use a third party library called WinPcap.

However WinPcap does not support windows 10 officially so we need to find another solution. Win10Pcap seems is more a private project and not industrial standard. The best solution would be if we can use something from the .Net Framework box. I've found Raw Sockets but it seems this is restricted in Windows 10 due to security concerns. Is there some other possibilities to access Layer 2 using .Net Framework? Does Microsoft offer a NDIS 6.x driver to access Layer 2?

Cheers,

WB

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:17 AM

Answers

• In the Win10 WDK samples (Network\NDISProt) is a driver that should do what you want

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:46 PM
  • In the Win10 WDK samples (Network\NDISProt) is a driver that should do what you want

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Spot on mate.

Thanks very much.

• Marked as answer by w_b2 Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:48 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi WB,

This forum is discuss and ask questions about .NET Framework Base Classes (BCL) such as Collections, I/O, Regigistry, Globalization, Reflection. Based on your description, as far as I know,  there  is no class or library to help you access Layer 2 in .Net Framework.

>> Does Microsoft offer a NDIS 6.x driver to access Layer 2?

This issue is out of this forum support scope, I will help move your case to window driver forum for better support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Kristin Xie Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:57 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:56 AM
  • Does the sample in here help?

Note: In the comment section: "You have to download ndis driver sample 6 and make changes yourself for surceIP and build it for 64bit version." But at least it should give you some heading of what you need to to.
    • Edited by cheong00 Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:04 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:02 AM

-Brian

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:46 PM
  • Thanks very much for your help guys.

I'll have a look at the Win10 WDK driver example today and I'll report soon if that solved the problem.

Cheers,

WB

• Unmarked as answer by w_b2 Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:48 AM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 11:01 PM

-Brian

Spot on mate.

Thanks very much.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:47 AM