none
Word Plug In - Mail Merge limit on fields RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I created a mail merge template by adding more than 65 fields.When i doing mail merge using this template , mail merge process gets blocked by an "Invalid Merge Field" popup.And only 65 fields will be populated in the merged document.If there is any limits in number of fileds in mail merge document?

Thanks

Bobbin

Friday, July 6, 2012 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Bobbin

As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of merge fields you can place in a main merge document you create using Word's mail merge functionality.

There is a limit of 62 fields when using a Word TABLE as the data source, but this is a limitation having to do with the number of columns a Word table supports - it has nothing to do with the mail merge functionality.

The error message you mention usually occurs when the field name in the Mergefield does not match any field name in the data source. If you open such a main merge document in Word, you should get a message as the document is opened that tells you the name(s) of the mergefield(s) that have problems. Check that information against the field names in your data source.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Monday, July 9, 2012 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Bobbin,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

As fa as I know, the maximum number of fields that can be added to a mail merge document in MS CRM is 62. Please refer to this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946273 .

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Leo_Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, July 9, 2012 6:12 AM
  • Hi Bobbin

As far as I know, there is no limit to the number of merge fields you can place in a main merge document you create using Word's mail merge functionality.

There is a limit of 62 fields when using a Word TABLE as the data source, but this is a limitation having to do with the number of columns a Word table supports - it has nothing to do with the mail merge functionality.

The error message you mention usually occurs when the field name in the Mergefield does not match any field name in the data source. If you open such a main merge document in Word, you should get a message as the document is opened that tells you the name(s) of the mergefield(s) that have problems. Check that information against the field names in your data source.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Monday, July 9, 2012 9:26 AM