none
VS 2015 Properties Window empty in certain situations

Question

• Does anyone know why the properties window would be blank when clicking on an element inside of a cshtml file?

I created a new MVC project and found that when I clicked on any element in any of the cshtml files, the properties window is blank. The properties window works fine when I click on any other file, or element inside any other file. I loaded an empty MVC project in VS 2013 to see if the behavior is the same but it works as expected. Did something change in the design of MVC views in 2015? I cannot locate an answer, and have tried all of the previous fixes for empty properties windows for previous versions of Visual Studio.

Friday, May 27, 2016 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hi bob,

According to your description, I create a default MVC project and then open the cshtml file with the HTML (Web Form) Editor. After I select a elemnt in cshtml file, the Properties window shows all properties as below screenshot shows.

I'm using Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 with Update 2. Please check whether your Visual Studio has installed the Update 2. If not, please download and install from below link.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2015-update2-vs.aspx

In addition, please try run your Visual Studio in safe mode to party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Saturday, May 28, 2016 11:34 AM