none
Applying custom styles on formatted content RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am applying a custom paragraph style to a content range. If the content has any numbered/bulleted list items,those are getting removed.I tried defining the style as a Linked(paragraph and character) style,that too removes the lists. If I create the style as a character style,the lists are retained but any other character style previously applied to the content goes off.How can I retain the previously applied style/formats and still apply a custom style to the entire content?

Thanks,

Pallavi

Monday, November 28, 2011 6:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Pallavi

Mmm, this is a complicated question... 

The problem is that, from Word's point-of-view, numbering is what we call "direct formatting" (the same as applying Bold or Underline using the buttons in the toolbar/Ribbon). So when a style is applied, direct formatting is lost (except for the 50% rule about retaining font formatting). There is no way around that.

Basically, you have to link the numbering to the style. So it's a question of how this custom style is supposed to be used in the document. You need to determine:

1. Do all the numbered paragraphs of a certain level get formatted with this style?

2. Is the style only used with numbered paragraphs?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:18 AM