VSTO Outlook Add-in Set a short note/info on Mailitem RRS feed

• Question

• I need to set a short note or info on mail item programmatically. As shown below for instance. enter image description here

I tried with setting a custom mail item category but it doesn't appear on mail item when it is opened. I can only see it in preview. Setting something like label or tag also works for me. How do I achieve this?

Thanks in Advance.

Nikki135

Friday, October 16, 2020 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This is a mail tip. MailTips are informative messages displayed to users while they're composing a message. MailTips are implemented as a web service in Exchange. When a sender is composing a message, the client software makes an Exchange web service call to the Client Access server to get the list of MailTips. The server responds with the list of MailTips that apply to that message, and the client software displays the MailTips to the sender.

Read more about MailTips in the MSDN docs. The Configure custom MailTips for recipients article explains how to configure such messages.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Saturday, October 17, 2020 8:37 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the info. I want to add a note programmatically, when the mail is in compose mode by user. In this case I can't add a mail tip. I tried using mail categories but facing an issue. In the add-in code, I assign a new category and save the mail item, category is not visible on the mail item that's is open and in compose mode. Although I can see category on mail item(in drafts folder) in preview. 

Nikki135

Monday, October 19, 2020 11:38 AM