none
Apply different font styles to individual words of the same textbox in a RDLC report RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When you apply any font style (font weight, font family, font size etc.)  to a RDLC report textbox the font is applied to entire contents of the textbox. Is it possible to apply different font styles to individual words of the same textbox ?  It would suffice if I could mark some text in bold. Another requirement is to have part of the text as a hyperlink

Note: This is for a windows application using Client Side Reporting. (SQL Server Report Services are not used)

In other words use the textbox like an RTF textbox.

Before starting this thread, i did  some googling related to this and came across this thread in one of the forums here

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/2762f754-6a3d-484c-90d2-97582c5777f9/

It converts the text into an RTF format image. 

However I don't want to use images since I won't be able to create hyperlink on part of the text.   Besides I doubt that having images could result in resolution issues for smaller font sizes. 

While writing expression for value of textbox, I find intellisense displays the following for a data field

Fields!MyField.Value
    Fields!MyField.IsMissing
    Fields!MyField.UniqueName
    Fields!MyField.BackgroundColor
    Fields!MyField.Color
    Fields!MyField.FontFamily
    Fields!MyField.FontSize
    Fields!MyField.FontWeight
    Fields!MyField.FontStyle
    Fields!MyField.TextDecoration
    Fields!MyField.FormattedValue
    Fields!MyField.Key
    Fields!MyField.LevelNumber
    Fields!MyField.ParentUniqueName

Can someone throw light on how these properties exposed by a data field are used ?

&=1
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:10 AM

Answers

• Those extended field properties are only populated if you have a server mode report that uses the Analysis Services data extension and those values are setup in the Analysis Services cube.  This allows you to easily reuse formatting information in a report that is stored/calculated/maintained in the cube.

What you are really looking for is the RichText feature introduced in SQL Server Reporting Services 2008, which allows you to apply arbitrary formatting to parts within a textbox.  Currently you can only utilize this feature in server mode.  The upcoming report viewer controls for Visual Studio 2010 will include that feature as well for local mode.

HTH,
    Robert

Robert Bruckner   http://blogs.msdn.com/robertbruckner

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:04 PM

All replies

• Those extended field properties are only populated if you have a server mode report that uses the Analysis Services data extension and those values are setup in the Analysis Services cube.  This allows you to easily reuse formatting information in a report that is stored/calculated/maintained in the cube.

What you are really looking for is the RichText feature introduced in SQL Server Reporting Services 2008, which allows you to apply arbitrary formatting to parts within a textbox.  Currently you can only utilize this feature in server mode.  The upcoming report viewer controls for Visual Studio 2010 will include that feature as well for local mode.

HTH,
    Robert

Robert Bruckner   http://blogs.msdn.com/robertbruckner

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Will the report viewer controls in Visual Studio 2010 be an integral part of Visual Studio 2010 or an independent package that can be used with previous versions of Visual Studio ?

&=1
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:57 AM