Cannot find Advanced and Document Outline Sub Menu in Visual Studio 2010 Express RRS feed

• Question

• User-878078636 posted

I'm learning ASP .NET using the Walkthrough on MSDN but discovered that some menu items are not in my copy. These are:

Edit --->Advanced and

View---->Other Windows----->Document Outline

(The highlighted are the missing menu items)

I downloaded it from the official MS site. Is there any explanation/walkaround for this?

Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:21 PM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi Sylva

Thanks for your kind reminder.

Cannot find Advanced and Document Outline Sub Menu

I think there is something wrong when you install  Visual Web Developer Express 2010,

but I hardly judge the root of this problem, you could try uninstall Visual Web Developer Express 2010 first,

and then re-install it again.  Please download Visual Web Developer Express 2010 from the link below,(http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-2010-express).

Sorry for the issue that you are hitting.

With kind regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:37 PM

All replies

• User1070236303 posted

I'm not familiar with express, maybe these features are missing from that edition. You can try the default keyboard shortcuts also, maybe it works but has no menu item (this happens sometimes in vs pro or above for some exotic command)

ctrl+w, u : document outline

Most used ommands from the edit / advanced:

ctr+e, c : comment

ctrl+e, u : uncomment

ctrl+e, w : toggle wordwrap

etc.

Friday, December 21, 2012 4:48 AM
  • User-878078636 posted

Thanks stmarti. The short cuts didn't do it. I've also noticed that some items are missing in the HTML Source Editing toolbar eg Browser specific settings such as Internet Explorer 3.02/Netscape Navigator 3.0, XHTML 1.0 Transitional (Netscape 7, Opera 7, Internet Explorer 6), etc.

I'm just starting with the tutorial so I'm not sure what more that's missing. Can someone please explain if this is normal or whether I'm getting something wrong.

Thanks.

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:30 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi Sylva

I'm just starting with the tutorial so I'm not sure what more that's missing. Can someone please explain if this is normal or whether I'm getting something wrong.

I think you could try un-install Visual Studio 2010 Express first, and then reinstall Visual Studio 2010 Express from the link below,

Visual Studio 2010 Express download- http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-2010-express

hope it helps you,

Merry Christmas

Monday, December 24, 2012 11:24 PM
  • User-878078636 posted
    Merry Xmas, Angie. I'm using Visual Web Developer Express 2010 not VS.
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:40 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi Sylva

Thanks for your kind reminder.

Cannot find Advanced and Document Outline Sub Menu

I think there is something wrong when you install  Visual Web Developer Express 2010,

but I hardly judge the root of this problem, you could try uninstall Visual Web Developer Express 2010 first,

and then re-install it again.  Please download Visual Web Developer Express 2010 from the link below,(http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-2010-express).

Sorry for the issue that you are hitting.

With kind regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:37 PM