Silverlight application not working on Windows 8 developer preview RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have created a sample silverlight application. I want to use this application on touch devices like Microsoft Slate and windows table. On windows 7, it is working fine, but when we try to execute my sample url on windows 8, it shows silverlight not installed on your laptop.

The interesting this is, when i execute the url on windows 8 classic view [like windows 7 view], it execute and show poper result. But when I try to use actual windows 8 touch view and try to execute the url, it shows that silverlight not installed.

anybody have idea, why it is behaving like this? Is Windows 8 support silverlight or not ??

Monday, December 5, 2011 7:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Nope, it's not possible. Microsoft seem to have managed to simultaneously:

a) saved tablet users from the misery of battery hungry plug-ins, be they Silverlight, Flash, Google Toolbar, PDF Viewer etc; and
    b) screwed things up for tablet users wanting to use the web as they do on the desktop, but within a touch-friendly browser.

Microsoft blog on the plug-in-free Metro IE experience is at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/14/metro-style-browsing-and-plug-in-free-html5.aspx.

I can see why they've taken this step to disable plug-ins in Metro IE, I just don't agree with it. There should be a setting for the user to enable them, should they wish to do so, in my humble opinion. I know I would like the option.

EDIT: I know that IE 10 can switch the current web site into Desktop mode with one click, but that's not the point of the OP's question - plug-ins are not supported in nice, friendly, touch-enabled Metro mode, full stop.

Regards,
    Rob

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Nope.  Metro (aka WinRT) applications will only run on Windows 8.  Everything that I have heard suggests that there will be no porting to older OSs (like they did with the .NET platform).

It puts a heavier weight on platform decisions, that is for sure.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Is there any way to create metro style application in windows 7 using visual studio 2010 & HTML5.

Well, kind of. You can design your application to look and behave like a Metro app, but it won't be a Metro app with all the push notification technology etc. that they enjoy. Plus if it's HTML5 it'll run in a browser, not as an actual application, unless you write yourself a hosting application for it. Quite frankly, if I wanted backwards compatability I'd use either WPF (or possibly Silverlight OOB) and then I'd be sure it'll run on Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Regards,
    Rob

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:10 AM

All replies

• the "Metro" version of IE - the one that runs in tablet/slate mode - doesn't support plugins (flash and silverlight, etc)

the regular desktop version of IE will continue to support those plugins.

so it appears to be working as expected.

Monday, December 5, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Is there any way to use Metro version of IE in our silvelight applicaions ?

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:47 AM
  • Hi,

Nope, it's not possible. Microsoft seem to have managed to simultaneously:

a) saved tablet users from the misery of battery hungry plug-ins, be they Silverlight, Flash, Google Toolbar, PDF Viewer etc; and
    b) screwed things up for tablet users wanting to use the web as they do on the desktop, but within a touch-friendly browser.

Microsoft blog on the plug-in-free Metro IE experience is at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/14/metro-style-browsing-and-plug-in-free-html5.aspx.

I can see why they've taken this step to disable plug-ins in Metro IE, I just don't agree with it. There should be a setting for the user to enable them, should they wish to do so, in my humble opinion. I know I would like the option.

EDIT: I know that IE 10 can switch the current web site into Desktop mode with one click, but that's not the point of the OP's question - plug-ins are not supported in nice, friendly, touch-enabled Metro mode, full stop.

Regards,
    Rob

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Thanks for your reply rob,

I have one more question. If i create metro style application using Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64) [Visual Studio 11 Express], will it execute on Windows 7 ?

Saurav

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 6:42 AM
  • Nope.  Metro (aka WinRT) applications will only run on Windows 8.  Everything that I have heard suggests that there will be no porting to older OSs (like they did with the .NET platform).

It puts a heavier weight on platform decisions, that is for sure.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Is there any way to create metro style application in windows 7 using visual studio 2010 & HTML5.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:29 PM

VS2010 can not be used to create Metro style applications you need to use Visual Studio that came with the Windows Developer Preview.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:53 PM

Well, kind of. You can design your application to look and behave like a Metro app, but it won't be a Metro app with all the push notification technology etc. that they enjoy. Plus if it's HTML5 it'll run in a browser, not as an actual application, unless you write yourself a hosting application for it. Quite frankly, if I wanted backwards compatability I'd use either WPF (or possibly Silverlight OOB) and then I'd be sure it'll run on Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Regards,
    Rob

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:10 AM