Link Test Result to Test Case RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I run a manuell test at Microsoft Test Manager which a result.

Now I wan't to have a link at test case - WI in VS where i can open the result.

When I wan't to add the link at test case work item I get the message:

This item cannot be added to itself.

The only thing what i want to have, when I open at vs or team explorer the test case to have the link to the result's of this case.

Thanks,

Horst

Thanks Horst MOSS 2007 Farm, MOSS 2010 Farm, TFS 2010

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:00 PM

Answers

• Hello wuwu,

As you have manual test results in MTM, and in order to link these test results to one test case please follow the approach described below:

1). Please open the manual test result in MTM: Testing Center->Test tab->select the appropriate test suite->open one test result.
    2). Link the test result to one specific test case work item by clicking the Add button under the Links area, and browse the specific test case work item.
    3). Now, you have successfully link the test result to the test case work item. And when you open that test case in the VS, you will find the Test Result link type. Like:

Please note that you can't link the test result to the test case which produces the test result.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by wuwu Monday, April 2, 2012 6:33 AM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 6:28 AM

All replies

• I am afraid it's not possible, this because the test result can be viewed by MTM, so you will need MTM to perform this operation.

We are volunteers, if the reply help you mark it as your answer. thanks!!

Blog: http://mohamedradwan.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Hello,

I also afraid! Is there no way to link from test case wi to test result.

I tried to link from bug work item to test result and this work.

Why the other way - link doesn't work?

Horst

Thanks Horst MOSS 2007 Farm, MOSS 2010 Farm, TFS 2010

Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Hello wuwu,

As you have manual test results in MTM, and in order to link these test results to one test case please follow the approach described below:

1). Please open the manual test result in MTM: Testing Center->Test tab->select the appropriate test suite->open one test result.
    2). Link the test result to one specific test case work item by clicking the Add button under the Links area, and browse the specific test case work item.
    3). Now, you have successfully link the test result to the test case work item. And when you open that test case in the VS, you will find the Test Result link type. Like:

Please note that you can't link the test result to the test case which produces the test result.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by wuwu Monday, April 2, 2012 6:33 AM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 6:28 AM