v4.master: the difference between LAYOUTS/v4.master and GLOBAL/v4.master RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello guys!

Recently I've faced with one problem: after each change to the page message box "The current page has been customized from its template. Revert to template." appeared. I did some web-search and found a good solution: "In v4.master make this box non-displayable and add script which would show this box if there are some usefull info".  So I oppened my lovely SharePoint 2010 Designer, found my master page v4.master and did some changes to it. And it was fine untill I tried to log in with non-farm_admin account and view the customized page - those message box still was there. 

Any changes, made in v4.master via SP Designer applied to farm admin view but didn't affect another users view. Laters I found 2 more v4.master, that differed of Designer's one: in 14/TEMPLATE/GLOBAL and in 14/TEMPLATE/LAYOUTS. After applying same changes to GLOBAL/v4.master it became ok, while applying to LAYOUTS/v4.master didn't affect anything.

So I found at least three v4.master master pages and each of them affect different parts of portal. Are there any exact info what each of them used for?

Anton.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 10:52 AM

All replies

• Anyone?
    Friday, July 6, 2012 11:28 AM
  • Guys?
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Still wonder to get an answer=)
    Friday, October 12, 2012 9:10 AM
  • in what sites do you use v4.master? Team, publishing or with some other site templates? This problem is typical on publishing sites: in order to apply your changes to all users you should make 2 additional actions:

1. publish masterpage with major version

2. approve it

But all of this should be done in Catalogs > Master page and page layout (/_catalogs/masterpage), not on the file system.

Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    CAML via C# - http://camlex.codeplex.com

Friday, October 12, 2012 9:38 AM
  • Thanks a lot for your answer!

Well, that was a team site template, and as I said, changes made through the SPD only applied for the Farm Admin account. If I log in with a User's account - nothing new happens, those message box is still in the same place. BUT. Later I found those two v4.master(in 14/TEMPLATE/GLOBAL and in 14/TEMPLATE/LAYOUTS) and there were no any changes related to the messagebox. So I tried to edit them one by one, and one of them(don't remember which one), affected User's interface as well.

Friday, October 12, 2012 2:58 PM