Deploy RDLC Report into report server RRS feed

• Question

• I  know that rdlc file are for client mode processing , but if i have and rdlc report and i want to change the processing mode and deploy the rdlc report into a report server , what shall i do ?
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Ibrahim,

You are right RDLC is a client control. Please have a look at the article
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251669.aspx
    With ReportViewer if you can access server, you may publish report to server and view.

Regards, Gouri Sohoni
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:38 PM
  • Hi Ibrahim,

IUSR_MachineName means user from network.

If the web server on the another server which is different from report server. Please enable the account IUSR_MachineName.
    If the web server is on the same server of report server, please use the ASPNET/Network Services account.

So, enable both account is ok. That won't cause other issues.

Important, for security reason, please just give the anonymous account "System User" role. If we enable "System Administrator" for anyonymous account, anyone who connect to the report server will has the permission to modify the system settings. That is not recommended.

Again, please just give the anonymous account "System User" role, or limited privilege.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen
    Jin Chen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Jerry Nee Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:28 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Ibrahim,

You are right RDLC is a client control. Please have a look at the article
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251669.aspx
    With ReportViewer if you can access server, you may publish report to server and view.

Regards, Gouri Sohoni
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:38 PM
  • Thanks Gouri
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:23 AM
  • I have a sql server 2005 reporting server with number of deployed reports , i want to access these report from an asp.net application.
    i want to enable anonymous access to this report server , to enable any user using the application to be able to access the reports ,i know that i can change the authentication method of the report manager virtual directory in the iis to anonymous access and take the iuser_machinename account and assign it to a role in the report manager , but if i don't have an access to the reporting server to configure it , i can only upload pages to the web server , so i think there must be a programmatically solution for this situation.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:56 AM
  • I want to understand , if i have a sql server 2005 reporting service server with deployed reports and i want to access these reports from an asp.net application in another machine in the same lan .

I want to enable anonymous access to these reports , so when user access reports from the as.net app , no user name or password needed .

Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Hi IbrahimElSaid,

To deploy RDLC report to report server, we need to convert the RDLC to RDL, that means convert the client report to server report before publishing to report server.

For more information about how to convert RDLC to RDL, please see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252109(VS.80).aspx

Please feel free to ask if there is anything unclear.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen
    Jin Chen - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:31 AM
  • Thanks Jin Chen,

I want to ask you another question , if want to deploy rdl (server report) to the production reporting service server , is there is another way than take the Bussiness Intelligence solution and deploy it on the production server .

also after deploying these reports on that server, i want the asp.net application deployed on another web server to access these reports anonymously without any credentials . is this will be carried out by enabling anonymous access to the report server and report manager virtual directories on the reporting service server or what ?

This top is very urgent for me Jin , so i am waiting for your answer as soon as possible .

Thanks again Jin .
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:43 AM
  • Hi IbrahimElSaid,

Yes. We can use the RS script utility to deploy reports to report server.

RS script utility is used to process script you provide in an input file. Use this utility to automate report server deployment and administration tasks.

If we have installed SQL Server Reporting Services samples, we will get some script samples from the following location by default:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Samples\Reporting Services\Script Samples

The script file PublishSampleReports.rss is a sample that used to publish AdventureWorks Sample Reports in batch.

Another possible solution is using the Reporting Services web services to publish reports.

By default, any request send to report server will be asked for credential. We can use the end-user’s credential, shadow account’s credential, or anonymous account’s credential.

In this case, to use end-user’s credential, we can configure Kerberos delegation for the web application, and configure Kerberos for the report server and the users.

To use shadow account’s credential, we can use a specified account to access the report server. To accomplish this, please use this code for the Report Viewer control:

Reoprtviewer.ServerReport.Credential = new System.Net.NetworkCredentila(username, password, domain);

To use anonymous account’s credential, we follow these steps:

1.       Enable Anonymous Access for the Report Server and Report Manager virtual directory in Internet Information Server (IIS) on the Report Server machine.

2.       Use Report Manager to give the anonymous account permissions to access the report server. If using IIS6.0, the anonymous account should be Network Service, if using IIS5.0, the account should be ASPNET.

3.       Use SQL Server Manager Studio to give the anonymous account permissions to login the report server database and access the database.

Note: we need the administrator permission to login the report server or the report server database to enable these settings.

For more information, please see:

rs Utility: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162839.aspx

SQL Server Reporting Services Product Samples: http://www.codeplex.com/MSFTRSProdSamples

Authentication, Role-based Security, and SQL Reporting Services Web Services: http://odetocode.com/articles/216.aspx

If there is anything unclear, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:03 AM
  • First thank you very much Jin,

Now every alot of thing is clear to me, but i have few questions.

In using the anonymous account’s credential , by default when enabling the anonymous access to the virtual directories , by default the account that is used is the IUSR_Machinename right ?
    so if i gave this account the permissions to access the report server , will it work as giving the ASPNET or Network Service the permissions or not .

Also in talking about giving the anonymous account permissions to access the report server using the report manager , this is performed by assigning it to the 'System User' role or 'System Administrator' role or both ?

Thanks Jin .

Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Hi Ibrahim,

IUSR_MachineName means user from network.

If the web server on the another server which is different from report server. Please enable the account IUSR_MachineName.
    If the web server is on the same server of report server, please use the ASPNET/Network Services account.

So, enable both account is ok. That won't cause other issues.

Important, for security reason, please just give the anonymous account "System User" role. If we enable "System Administrator" for anyonymous account, anyone who connect to the report server will has the permission to modify the system settings. That is not recommended.

Again, please just give the anonymous account "System User" role, or limited privilege.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen
    Jin Chen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Jerry Nee Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:28 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:00 AM
  • Ok , thank you very much Jin.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:22 AM