Chkdsk issue on external harddrive RRS feed

• Question

• Problem situation: I am running chkdsk /f /r on a 500GB SimpleTech external harddrive via USB. It appears hung at:  "45% completed   (verify file data Stage 4 of 5)".

I started chkdsk 2 days ago. It has been running with the same "45% completed" message for approximately TWENTY (20) hours now.

I researched and know that the /f /r functions take a long time but since it has been at the 45% mark for 20 hours, I am concerned and unsure what to do. I have seen the warnings against stopping chkdsk in progress.

- IF it is actually still working and will just take more time, then I will wait.

- IF it is hung/frozen/broken and I am waiting for no reason, then I need to know what do I do (I'm not that savy with these things).

Why I ran chkdsk: I disconnected the hd one time without first using the "safely remove hardware" option. Since then, an I/O device error message would display and I could not access the drive at all. 

It was suggested I run chkdsk on the drive from the command line, which I did, using the suggested following parameters:   chkdsk /f /r

I have travel photos and other items on the drive and really want to recover them. 

Detailed responses are very appreciated - Thanks!!

Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:55 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.

Bruce Adamczak

Bruce Adamczak
    Monday, January 17, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest posting your question in one of the (Windows > Windows Forums > Windows 7 Forums > Performance and Maintenance) forum located here:  (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7performance/threads).

Hope that would be helpful.

Have a great day!

Thanks & regards,

Shivendra Pratap Singh Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Monday, January 17, 2011 9:10 PM