how to get specific column from datatable to array RRS feed

• Question

• User450763225 posted

Hi, I am trying to get a column which has 4 rows into an array. Here is my code which doesn't work. The error is "can not convert char[] to string []". I have to use string[].

DataTable dt = new DataTable();
                dt = this.FavoritesUtility.GetFavoriteGroupSearchResult(SearchText, SearchType, LimitToList, UseSearchOption, Guid.Empty, ref FavoriteGroupGrid.MyXMLInfoObject.LayoutXMLInfo, 0);
                foreach (DataRow dr in dt.Rows)
                {
                    string[] CellValue = dr["UserGUID"].ToString().ToArray();
                }

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:01 PM

Answers

• User3866881 posted

Your Guid means xxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx——all in all, it should be splitted by "-",So please use Split method instead:

dt
    = this.FavoritesUtility.GetFavoriteGroupSearchResult(SearchText, SearchType, LimitToList, UseSearchOption, Guid.Empty, ref FavoriteGroupGrid.MyXMLInfoObject.LayoutXMLInfo, 0);

{

string[] CellValue = dr["UserGUID"].ToString().Split("-");

}
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:50 PM

All replies

• User1264447444 posted

You have dr["UserGUID"].ToString() inside a foreach loop and that will give you a string and then you are calling ToArray() on it.This will take the string and get a character array of it and hence the error.

Here's a better way to do this.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6127028/datatables-rows-first-column-to-string-array

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:30 PM
  • User450763225 posted

Thanks for your advice. I tried that, but it failed. The error is" can to convert GUID to String". For my case, I just want to put some Guid values in an array, is there better way ? Thanks

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:52 PM
  • User3866881 posted

Your Guid means xxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx——all in all, it should be splitted by "-",So please use Split method instead:

dt
    = this.FavoritesUtility.GetFavoriteGroupSearchResult(SearchText, SearchType, LimitToList, UseSearchOption, Guid.Empty, ref FavoriteGroupGrid.MyXMLInfoObject.LayoutXMLInfo, 0);

{

string[] CellValue = dr["UserGUID"].ToString().Split("-");

}
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:50 PM