setting incoming emails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!,

Can anyone please help me with the setting up of an incoming emails in document libraries. Actually the scenario is that I'm using the SMTP and i dont have an email server hence im directing my emails to a folder in c:\inetpub\mailroot\drop . but the problem is that whenever i send an email the email msg never reaches the drop folder hence the attachment is also not displayed in the doc library.

pleease help .

thank you

Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:24 PM

All replies

• Install SMTP services on your SharePoint box instead.  That will solve your problem.  (You don't need or want a full email server on your SharePoint server anyway).

Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:29 PM
  • thanx for the instant reply. I would further like to know that while installing the SMTP service what configuration will I need to set up

Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Once it has been installed you will need to allow other servers to route their mail to it.  That is disabled by default.  Just look at the main SMTP properties page.  You should be able to find an inclusion / exclusion list of IP addresses / subnets / computers.  Update to allow connections from anywhere in your domain, or from your specific mail server.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 3:02 PM
  •  

Actually there is no mail server. Im just directing the emails to the following folder c:\inetpub\mailroot\drop . I've also given modify rights to the account which is used by the microsoft sharepoint services timer service. but when i snd an email from yahoo the email is not received at the folder and i once tried to copy paste an email msg with an attachment to the folder and then tried to view the attachment at the doc library but i cudnt see it there.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 8:54 PM
  • Okay, then while everybody is in your domain, have them use your SMTP server as the SMTP server for Outlook Express (for example).  Then send the emails as appropriate directly to the SMTP server.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 1:59 AM
  • ok I've actually searched a page which guides through the setting up of incoming emails. It start s from 

1 installing the smtp services like u said

2 then configuring it 

3 then configuring permissions for the email drop folder

4 then configure the dns

5 then confirgure the incoming email settings on the central administration

6 then configuring it at the doc library

the point that confused me was the configuration of dns. I'm snding u that portion. we have an internal dns server

Configure DNS

As mentioned above, this scenario utilizes a DNS MX record that points the selected domain directly to this single physical server. If you are using an external DNS provider, you may just be able to put a request into a web form. If you are using another DNS server internally, the steps may be virtually the same as the Microsoft DNS steps outlined here.

1. In the Microsoft DNS Manager MMC, select the forward lookup zone for the domain that contains the subdomain. In the case of the subdomain that we are adding (www.stovereffect.com), you would select the parent domain of stovereffect.com.
    2. Right-click the parent domain zone and then click New Mail Exchanger.
    3. In the Host or domain text box, type the host or subdomain name (www.stovereffect.com).
    4. Type the fully qualified domain name for the DNS that is running SharePoint, such as http://www.stovereffect.com/.
    5. Click OK.

Note: Mail should now flow to the server at this point. If you send an e-mail to any address at the new DNS

Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:52 AM
  • Open DNS management.  Open your Forwarding Zones, then your domain.  Right-click on the domain, and select New (MX) record.  Specify the name of your SharePoint server, and the IP address if your SharePoint server.  Click Done, and then your dns record will flow through as appropriate.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 3:28 PM