none
Invocation logs not updating in portal

Question

• Hi, I have a function that is working, but the invocation logs are not updating. When I check the logs in Kudu, they are correct, so it's just the portal side that doesn't seem to be working.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you go to platform features -> streaming logs, it will open a different view which is basically a consolidated display of all the log messages occurring across your function app. If you open this, do you see activity? It should look something like this:

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:12 PM
  • Hi Paul,

- It looks like the Streaming logs has a bug, see your screen snippet:

I have found this issue also on my Streaming Logs.

Thanks

Roman

• Edited by Roman Kiss Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:45 PM
  • You are correct. Its a side effect of the fact that the entries are written to two different log files, the log streaming picks up both file changes. I captured this here:

https://github.com/Azure/azure-webjobs-sdk-script/issues/1431

But you didn't answer my question :) Does this view work for the function app that you are having problems with?

• Edited by Paul Batum Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:57 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:57 PM
  • Paul,

I have the same issue. The Invocation log is not updating. However, the Streaming log is correctly updating.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:29 PM
  • Ok if the application level streaming logs view shown above is working but the function level streaming logs is not working, that narrows the range of possible issues significantly. I have a few suggestions and questions:

1. Does this reproduce reliably across different machines for the same function app? If you make a new function app does it fail for that too?

2. If you're running fiddler or any other proxy/capture tools turn them off, refresh the portal and try again

3. If you have multiple Azure portal tabs open in the same browser session, there are some limits that you can hit that can prevent it from working. Try a fresh browser session.

4. If none of the above has helped, can you use chrome's f12 tools to inspect the network traffic when you open the function? You want to look for a long lived request that has the same name as the function you opened. For example here is what it looks like for me:

Basically what I want to know is if you can find this request and what its status is. If you click on it, and go to the timing tab, you should see a message saying that it hasn't finished yet:

Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:40 AM
  • Paul,

Just for clarity. This is an Azure Function that I created and deployed in the portal. I wouldn't expect Fiddler to help me out in this situation, so I may have miscommunicated the current deployment situation. I have rebooted and tried multiple machines, but I see the issue between the portal and the function. My function is running once daily (properly), but the Invocation log reports that it hasn't run for the last 3 days.

Friday, April 21, 2017 2:43 PM
  • Hi Shane,

Apologies, I misunderstood the issue. I now understand and have a repro. We're investigating, will send another update by end of day.

Paul

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:38 PM
  • A short update: we've identified the problem and we're in the process of preparing a fix. My best guess in terms of ETA is that the fix will be available globally by 4/28.

In the meantime, as a workaround try accessing the Azure WebJobs dashboard. Your invocations should appear there without any issue. You can access the dashboard by navigating to:

https://<<functionappname>>.scm.azurewebsites.net/azurejobs/#/functions

If you have any problems viewing your invocations via this dashboard please let me know.

Friday, April 21, 2017 8:22 PM
  • Thank you for the update Paul. Looking forward to the fix.
    Monday, April 24, 2017 8:30 PM
  • Thanks,

e

-- me --

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:02 AM
  • A short update. The fix deployment is in progress, but it won't complete until next week. ETA 5/2.
    Friday, April 28, 2017 10:53 PM
  • The fix has been deployed, so this issue should not longer occur.

thanks,
    David

Monday, May 01, 2017 6:26 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks, this will really help, love the functions (besides this)
    Monday, May 01, 2017 6:27 PM
  • Hi David,

This still happens to our function apps. The invocation screen show old logs while the logs on Kudu show up to date logs.

This causes me to think that my function is not working but checking the logs from Kudu console I can see the latest activities.

Please advice,

Thanks!

Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Hi Van,

This particular fix is deployed, so you are probably running into a different variants. Can you start a new thread to make sure it gets looked at (you can link to this one from context)?

thanks,
    David

Thursday, October 26, 2017 7:04 PM
    Owner