none
Is there a forum for beginners? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to Expression Web (and web design of any kind.) I'd like to start with one template and make a simple web site with 8-10 pages. I would like to be able to change the names of the categories, of course, for instance "products" or "services" or "about" to "construction" "remodeling" and "design," for instance. And I would like to pick my own fonts and colors.

Any thoughts?  Is there a room for newbies here? 

Best regards,

Bill Phillips, Durham, NC

Bill Phillips Durham, North Carolina www.northcarolinapeople.blogspot.com www.handheldtechtoys.blogspot.com
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:01 AM

All replies

• Read the "FAQ ... Before Posting" post at the top.  To get a good understanding of what you need to learn, read the first link.  Then scroll down to the Resources section where you'll find online resources, including a basic site tutorial that will walk you through making a basic site in EW, to learn these things.  When you have specific questions, you can ask them here.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:33 AM
  • Sure is, lots of room. But...

You can't learn the basics in a forum; you need some structure. Look up in the Forum FAQ thread above and there are learning resources linked to in there.

Start with Cheryl's at www.by-expression.com (download the materials to work along). That'll give you the basics of EW and some of HTML and CSS (it was done for an earlier version of EW, so some of the items may be in a different spot on the menu in EW4, but it's all the same).

There's some good stuff in the Learn tab at the top, and for HTML and CSS, go to the w3schools tutorials linked in the FAQ.

This stuff ain't rocket science, it's only brain surgery. So don't be intimidated by any of it.

Some people are like Slinkys; not really good for anything...but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:34 AM
  • FWIW, support for the Basic Website tutorial and our other tutorials is available in our forum http://expressionwebforum.com and there is a newbie section there. <g>
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Bill,

We have been training some new people at our company to use EW. They are totally green (marketing types) and know nothing about EW or web development at all. First we got them the books and then directed them to the material available in the FAQ and the various tutorials. In spite of this most seemed unable to fully grasp everything in a timely fashion. We then tried video training using "Live Lessons" Expression Web 4 by Morten Rand-Hendriksen by Que and available at Amazon etc. This video touches on most basics and using it we noticed these "students" were able to make much more progress. Perhaps the visual medium and structure provided was the reason.

One nice thing about the video is over 5 hours it gets them to work along and make a site and instructs on enough of the basic concepts that it seems to provide a foundation of understanding that then makes the other information sources more in context. I have been using EW for a while and I found a few things in the video I did not know as well as a few things I might do differently but I could suggest it as a good starting point for a new EW user. In tandem with it you could reference the EW 4 book by Hendriksen from Sams or the book EW 4 in Depth by Cheshire.

With the video and books it seems the average student was doing OK work after about a week or so of immersion and at least an understanding of the basics. 

Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:05 AM