SQL 2000 32 Bit and 128 GB RAM RRS feed

• Question

• Yes we still have SQL 2000 in-house. We would like to increase our current RAM from 16GB to 128 GB as we are having performance issues. Are there any concerns going that high especially since its 32 bit. We do have PAE and AWE enabled and just concerned that at some point even with all this, there might be some drawbacks and limitations. Let me know

Friday, November 11, 2011 3:20 PM

Answers

• Yes we still have SQL 2000 in-house. We would like to increase our current RAM from 16GB to 128 GB as we are having performance issues. Are there any concerns going that high especially since its 32 bit. We do have PAE and AWE enabled and just concerned that at some point even with all this, there might be some drawbacks and limitations. Let me know

You are only going to be able to use 64GB of the RAM in a 32-bit instance under AWE.  Your biggest limitation is that you are in a 32-bit instance.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant, SQLSkills.com
    SQL Server MVP | Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author of Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs
    Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter. Become a SQLskills Insider!
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Monday, November 14, 2011 8:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:15 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I agree with Jonathan, for that much RAM you need to upgrade to 64bit.  You will also see a performance increase by moving to 64bit and SQL 2005/2008.

However, do you know memory is the issue?  You need to look at the performance counters and determine where the bottle neck actually is.  Adding RAM may not fix anything.

• Edited by Tom Phillips Friday, November 11, 2011 7:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:16 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 7:21 PM

All replies

• does this help?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/slavao/archive/2005/06/03/424825.aspx

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    Friday, November 11, 2011 3:56 PM

You are only going to be able to use 64GB of the RAM in a 32-bit instance under AWE.  Your biggest limitation is that you are in a 32-bit instance.

• Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:15 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I agree with Jonathan, for that much RAM you need to upgrade to 64bit.  You will also see a performance increase by moving to 64bit and SQL 2005/2008.

However, do you know memory is the issue?  You need to look at the performance counters and determine where the bottle neck actually is.  Adding RAM may not fix anything.

• Edited by Tom Phillips Friday, November 11, 2011 7:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:16 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 7:21 PM
  • beside the 64gb limit of sql server as mentioned by the others, there could be os limitations (with win 2000 and 2003 being the supported os versions for sql 2000). not sure which os you have running for your sql server
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:36 AM
  • beside the 64gb limit of sql server as mentioned by the others, there could be os limitations (with win 2000 and 2003 being the supported os versions for sql 2000). not sure which os you have running for your sql server

It doesn't really matter because SQL Server 2000 is unsupported at this point unless you have a previously purchased extended support contract with Microsoft.  Even extended support expires on 4/2013, it supportability is really a moot point.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=SQL

Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:01 AM
  • as he plans to use 128gb, memory wise it is not really a moot point, if he runs a x86 win2003, the os limit is already 64 gb. for win 2000 the limit is already 32gb.
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:03 AM
  • as he plans to use 128gb, memory wise it is not really a moot point, if he runs a x86 win2003, the os limit is already 64 gb. for win 2000 the limit is already 32gb.
    You can only address 64GB of RAM in a 32 bit process so like I said above, the 32-bit environment limits it to 64GB RAM you won't even see the other 64GB so it makes no sense to even install that much or attempt to.  My point was, none of this is supported, because you mentioned " (with win 2000 and 2003 being the supported os versions for sql 2000)".  These were the supported OS versions for SQL 2000, but none of them is supported currently by Microsoft.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:09 PM