Question for the Users

General discussion

• Why do you use a Windows OS?

Do you use the OS because you like the GUI? or do you use Windows because it's power and diverse hardware/software support allows you to do the stuff you need to get done?  

Saturday, October 15, 2011 4:13 AM

All replies

• GUI itself would helps to increase productivity, simple example I gave you task to type a page and I gave you Office Word 2003 and Office Word 2010, you might need simple task to do such as bold or underline , but people are enjoy using Office 2010 because it is easy and clean to use , if you have nice GUI you will enjoy your working. Windows is also power diverse for Hardware and Software, for example it is very interesting when you just plug in a device and connect to internet and then device driver will install by Windows Update.

A good OS is the one that you enjoy it and you could get the work done .

Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Tools is the simple answer for me, in the past I've done java development (Netbeans IDE) on a Mac, Solaris and Windows. These days I'm doing .net and Visual Studio is the tool of choice and VS only runs on Windows, we're investigating iOS development so my mac will still get fired up every now and again.

I don't really see that much difference between the OS's these days, they all have some form of a dock/taskbar for launch/taskswitch and spotlight/search for finding things. I like the Mac's 'expose' function for seeing and selecting open windows but I don't miss it too much in Windows. The chrome on the W8 desktop is pretty clean looking and I think I'm starting to prefer Windows over the mac, there are still some things that bug me about Windows: the 'bong' sound with no indication of what application caused it, applications throwing up dialogs when I'm in the middle of something else, and usb devices loading drivers again and again just because I've plugged device x into a different usb port.

Also I'm using MS Office more and more these days so I'll widen my original statement of 'Tools' to 'Applications' - so I use the OS that gives me the Applications I need to get things done.

Acer W500 tablet & dock, New 'works' Lenovo laptop Too much apple stuff. Remember: A Developer Preview is just that, a preview for developers - not everything will work 'just right' on day 1.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:34 AM
  • Well the gui has to be great and amazing and anything else just follows, imagine if u have an os that is powefull and supports any hardware and has the gui of windows 3.1 or 95... :-( not good at all. Ant perfomace 2 like memory managenent but driver i think windows is the way to cause the drivers r always avalable
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:06 PM