none
Critical path

Question

• Hi there,

I was wondering why the critical path in my project is not shown by using the 'Critical filter' in the view tab. The project has obviously critical task, however, still nothing is visualized (task marked red) in my project. The inserted column implies that all my tasks are critical? What am I doing wrong? Please help.

• Edited by IngenieurX Wednesday, December 19, 2018 12:07 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 11:16 AM

All replies

• IngenieurX,

Go to Format > Bar Styles and check the Critical Tasks option.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:44 PM
  • John is right, the filter just filters for the critical tasks, it does not display critical tasks in Red.  For that to happen by default then you need to select the tracking view, or do as John says.  

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 3:49 PM
  • Hi John and Howard,

I do receive the column in which the task are defined as ciritical by a Yes or No after following John's instructions. However, I was wondering if you could help me by the visual display of the critical path in my planning. I have seen a youtube video in which the ciritical path is shown in red after selecting the Filter: Critical in the View tab

Monday, January 7, 2019 10:12 AM
  • what version of project are you using...?   If it's a "modern" one from the Gantt Chart, click on the Format button and select the check box "critical tasks"....  If you are using 2007 then you should right click on the Gantt Chart and select the Format Gantt Chart Wizard option.

Monday, January 7, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Thanks for replying; I am using 2016 version; Whenever I am checking the 'criticl tasks' box nothing happens. Pease help.
    Friday, January 11, 2019 8:02 AM
  • Hi,

Any of the below would cause this to happen.

1.   All of your tasks are set to complete.

2.   You have a filter on with excludes critical tasks or you are looking at a portion of the gantt chart which does not have any critical tasks (or those you are looking at are complete).

3.  You've created a task with a constraint (SNET, MSO or MFO) in the future, and hence all tasks have a Total Slack value of > 0 because of this, therefore they are not critical.

4.  You have a broken version of MS Project.

Friday, January 11, 2019 8:31 AM
  • And I should add to this, if it is 3. above and the constraint is on a Milestone, then Milestones don't by default change colour if they are critical, and so you would never see any change when selecting the Critical Path filter.   My suggestions further would be to insert the total slack and Critical columns and see which tasks are not 100% complete, have a total slack value of zero and critical.

Friday, January 11, 2019 8:41 AM
  • You guys are very sweet, let me test some of yours and come back to this post with the developments.
    Sunday, January 13, 2019 12:00 AM
  • You guys are very sweet, let me test some of yours and come back to this post with the developments.
    Sunday, January 13, 2019 12:01 AM