Single front end to farm front end configuration RRS feed

• Question

• We setup a SharePoint Services site for a customer using a single front end server connected to a back end SQL cluster. The customer has requested we move to a 2 front end SPS configuration to increase availability.

The documentation requires that the web front ends be installed using the server farm option.

Is there a way to migrate the existing single web front end and then NLB cluster a second web front end to the existing configuration?

Monday, October 8, 2007 9:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Paulie,

I don't quite undestand your question. To paraphrase, I think you have two machines currently (one WSS, one SQL) and you need to move to configuration with 3 machines (2*WSS loadbalanced, one SQL). I think the mention of SPS (Sharepoint portal Server, referring to 2003 version) is just off-shoot and you meant WSS 3.

If I got the start point correctly, you are already technically deployed as farm. The only non-farm option (standalone) is using SQLExpress (or Windows Internal Database) and that is always on the same box as the WSS/MOSS. If you want to be really sure, you can check the value of regkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\13.0\WSS\ServerRole. If it is SINGLESERVER, that is the standalone, everything else (WFE, APPLICATION) is farm (needless to say, just changing this key on the fly only means problems so don't do it).

If that is correct, all you need to do is to add another WSS WFE to your farm and set up the load balancing. Most likely you will also need to set up the Alternative Access Mappings.

if you have a standalone server, the supported way is to take backup of the standalone, set up the desired farm and restore there.

JP

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 10:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Paulie,

I don't quite undestand your question. To paraphrase, I think you have two machines currently (one WSS, one SQL) and you need to move to configuration with 3 machines (2*WSS loadbalanced, one SQL). I think the mention of SPS (Sharepoint portal Server, referring to 2003 version) is just off-shoot and you meant WSS 3.

If I got the start point correctly, you are already technically deployed as farm. The only non-farm option (standalone) is using SQLExpress (or Windows Internal Database) and that is always on the same box as the WSS/MOSS. If you want to be really sure, you can check the value of regkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\13.0\WSS\ServerRole. If it is SINGLESERVER, that is the standalone, everything else (WFE, APPLICATION) is farm (needless to say, just changing this key on the fly only means problems so don't do it).

If that is correct, all you need to do is to add another WSS WFE to your farm and set up the load balancing. Most likely you will also need to set up the Alternative Access Mappings.

if you have a standalone server, the supported way is to take backup of the standalone, set up the desired farm and restore there.

JP

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 10:43 PM
  • Thanks for your response.

My concern was that the WSS documentation made the addition of WFE seem more complicated and I wanted confirmation that it was as simple as load balancing the new WFE into the environment.

Thanks again.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:12 PM