How does one get a stack trace from an app that only crashes during the certifcation test?

Question

• My C++ metro application is failing the certification “Crashes and hangs” test.

Some facts:

• I run this test every few days, and all tests have passed up to now.
      • In both debug and release mode, I can’t make the app crash.
      • It only crashes during the certification test.

I think after 30 years of this, I’m going to finally have to figure out how to run a “crash dump” in the debugger.

After a few hours of scanning the docs I can find on dump files, I’ve found plenty on how to download a dump from a user’s data in the store, I’ve poured over info on “Crash Dump Files”, and “User-Mode Dump Files”, which frankly I’m still confused on,  as well as info on a program called WinDbg.

In all the docs I’ve found so far, here’s what I can’t seem to ferret out:

Is there a way to set up some sort file that contains a stack-trace  to be written when the app crashes during the certification test (which is the only place it’s crashing), and can I use this file to run the debugger?

I’m thinking directions on how to get the file to write, and what type of file it is (crash dump, user-mode dump, or whatever) would be a great start.

Wow, three questions in one week.

Thanks

Jim Tomasko

Saturday, September 15, 2012 4:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

so the first place to check would be the System event log.  The crashes and hangs test uses the system event log to look for entries during the time period that the ACK is running to for the source windows error reporting.  Could you look at the system event log to see if we get additional info on this particular crash?

There is a command line tool that gets installed with the debugging tools for windows now named plmdebug that allows us to attach a debugger at the start of execution since IFEO (Image file execution options) won't work for Windows Store apps.  This is tricky since attaching a debugger might interfere with other tests.

Let's check the event log first to see if we get the clue.

thanks!

mike

• Marked as answer by James Tomasko Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:03 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 11:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

so the first place to check would be the System event log.  The crashes and hangs test uses the system event log to look for entries during the time period that the ACK is running to for the source windows error reporting.  Could you look at the system event log to see if we get additional info on this particular crash?

There is a command line tool that gets installed with the debugging tools for windows now named plmdebug that allows us to attach a debugger at the start of execution since IFEO (Image file execution options) won't work for Windows Store apps.  This is tricky since attaching a debugger might interfere with other tests.

Let's check the event log first to see if we get the clue.

thanks!

mike

• Marked as answer by James Tomasko Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:03 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 11:34 PM
  • Also Jim, in addition to the above we should also configure windows error reporting as described by David in

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/hu/winappswithnativecode/thread/d5c5f69f-266b-4a23-add3-4531fcc16681

much appreciated,

mike

• Marked as answer by James Tomasko Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by James Tomasko Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:03 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I've marked your answer as "the answer", even though it's not what I wanted to hear.  I will use the other links you provided, it's all good info.

My immediate problem (the crash) was solved through old fashioned detective work, which seems to be back in style with async programming.  Thank you once again.

Jim Tomasko

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:09 AM
  • You could use the Bugsense crash reporting solution for Windows 8.

Crash reporting for Windows 8 and Windows Phone

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:33 PM