none
How to install a signed driver on Windows 8? Where to put the CAT file? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am having problems installing a device driver on Windows 8 due to driver signing requirements. However, I have now signed the driver files the .sys and .inf files and a .cat file as well. But the windows 8 is still not recognizing the instrument automatically as plug and play when its connected. The .sys file is placed in Windows/system32/drivers and .inf file in Windows/inf folder. Where should the .cat file be placed so its automatically found by Windows 8?

Just to test if the files are correctly signed, I place all three files together in a folder. Then I connect the device and open device manger. The device is marked as unknown device and then I right click and click on update driver and point it to the folder I created and now the device is recognized and driver is successfully installed.

So please help. What am I doing wrong which is not letting the Windows 8 automatically find the driver files on plug in.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

• Edited by KhurramKhan Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:45 AM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:45 AM

All replies