none
.NET Framework 4 Client Profile vs .NET 4.6 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WPF app which will share some assemblies with the server on the other side of WCF calls.  My questions are: 

1) Is it OK to set the target framework of these shared assemblies to .NET Framework 4 Client Profile even though they will run on the server?  

2) and if I do this, the server will have some assemblies set to ".NET Framework 4 Client Profile" and others set to ".NET 4.6" and all of these will be referencing each other?

3) Or do I need to completely different versions of these each compiled to a different target framework?

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 4:01 AM

Answers

• Hi moondaddy,

I deploy Win10 with VS 2017. After installation, my version is 460798 as yours. I could not find .Net framework 4.7 in VS target framework list as well. 

When I try to install the .net 4.7 from the following link, it works well for me.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=55168

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 5:41 AM

All replies

• Hi moondaddy,

Thank you for posting here.

>>1) Is it OK to set the target framework of these shared assemblies to .NET Framework 4 Client Profile even though they will run on the server?  

>>2) and if I do this, the server will have some assemblies set to ".NET Framework 4 Client Profile" and others set to ".NET 4.6" and all of these will be referencing each other?

We do not suggest to do that. Starting with the .NET Framework 4.5, the Client Profile has been discontinued and only the full redistributable package is available.

>>3) Or do I need to completely different versions of these each compiled to a different target framework?

You could use the latest version of .Net framework 4.7 n WPF and WCF.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:08 AM
  • Wow, thanks for the heads up about the client profile being discontinued.  with all the googling I did, I didn't see that announced anywhere.

OK, I want to convert my projects to 4.7, but I don't see that available in VS 2017.  the latest I see is 4.6.1, however, I checked to see what's installed on my machine and it appears that 4.7 is installed (via windows update because I didn't install it).  Here's how I checked.  According to MSDN, I want "460798"

and this is what's on my computer:

but this is what's available in VS 2017:

Thank you.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:52 PM
  • Hi moondaddy,

I deploy Win10 with VS 2017. After installation, my version is 460798 as yours. I could not find .Net framework 4.7 in VS target framework list as well. 

When I try to install the .net 4.7 from the following link, it works well for me.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=55168

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support

Monday, July 24, 2017 5:41 AM