VSTS test suites / cases - how to link properly? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

New to VSTS.

We have a dev team, and QA team. For QA team, we've sprung for the test manager licenses.

What I'm struggling to see is how those in the dev team can see which test cases (TC) are in a given test suite (TS).

Ignoring the test manager side for the moment, you can create a TS, and manually *link* some related TC.  This is quite laborious, but at least you can then see the connection.

However, this appears to be a different linkage than that in test manager. Here, you create a static TS, add the TC quite easily... but this is all within the context of a test plan.  And the developers can't see test plans.

If you look at that same TS in work items area, it is not linked to anything.

If dev is looking at a TS, how do they see which TC are in that TS?

Thanks!

Friday, April 14, 2017 4:59 PM

All replies

• Test Manager does not use work item links to maintain relationship between test plans, suites and cases. As such, you cannot discover these relationships from Work hub or work item queries.

Next, Test Manager license is NOT required for browsing test plans, suites and cases in Test hub. All users with a Basic license can do that, which means your Developers are unblocked. Basic users can also run test cases that are already added in a suite.

Test Manager license is needed for test planning and authoring: to create test plans/suites and add test cases.

Thanks
    Manoj

Saturday, April 15, 2017 6:24 AM
  • Thanks Manoj.

So let's say a developer is looking at a work item. That item is linked to a suit via the relationship of "tested by".  

How does the developer then see which cases are in that suit?  They need to remember the test suit id, and initiate a WI search somehow to see which cases are related to that suit?  

Saturday, April 15, 2017 9:50 AM
  • You are supposed to view test plans, suites and test cases in Test hub, and not directly in work items. Let's look at a scenario:

1. Manual tester runs a test case form test hub,  and opens a defect.

2. Developer is assigned the defect that was opened

3. Developer can look into all the steps needed to reproduce the issue in the defect. Next, she can navigate to the test result from the "test result" link in the defect. The test result will show the test case that was used when the test was run.

Sunday, April 16, 2017 3:37 PM
  • Thanks.  That is one scenario, after a bug has been found. But when working in agile, that is not the only scenario. For example:

1. As a dev, I want to see how a given WI is (proposed to be) tested.  I can advise a) advise things missed (because I know behind the scenes impacts), and otherwise guide,  b) learn where I may have missed things (so I don't waste QA's time, but implement it immediately)
    2. As a QA, I want to see what WI are in this release, and kick off a test against all of them.  I do this by starting with a query against WI, then adding the results test cases to a plan
    3. As a QA, I want to run a regression test against a few WIs.  Same need as (2)
    4. As a manager, I want to go from a WI, to see the relevant test results (and cases) from N months ago, to understand why a bug that was just reported was missed in QA.

All of this requires starting with the WI, and going to test cases, as far as I can see?

Sunday, April 16, 2017 4:03 PM
  • Bunch of these scenarios are possible today with requirement based test suites, but I acknowledge that the scenarios don't start from Test hub.

If your team users Kandan boards, take a look at Kanban Test integration, which users requirement based suites in the backend: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/work/kanban/add-run-update-tests

We plan to enable important traceability reports in the upcoming versions of the product. Currently, these reports are available only with on-premises TFS: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/report/sql-reports/stories-overview-report-agile

Thanks for your feedback,

Manoj

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:32 PM