none
InfoPath cannot submit the form, The form is marked as read-only

Question

• Server: SPF 2013

Can someone tell me what can cause a InfoPath form to be Read-Only (error below)? I have check the obvious, permissions on the list and item as well as looked at the file properties (Read only not checked) but what we are seeing doesn't seem to make any sense.

I have an Forms Library where Infopath forms are created by a workflow from another custom list and updates the permissions to allow the listed person in the field [Eng Reviewer] (a people field) contribute access to that specific form. When 1 specific user goes to complete "his" ANY of his forms he gets the following error on save.

Error: 

InfoPath cannot submit the form.
    An error occurred while the form was being submitted.
    The form cannot be submitted to the following location: http://fsspf-02/JobTracking/StaffAppraisals/[FileName].xml
    The form is marked as read-only.

Note: I have 20+ other staff that this is working as expected, with no permission errors they can complete and submit the form successfully.

System Overview of Workflows

Library Setting

1. Content Approval = Yes
    2. Draft Item Security = Only users who can edit items
    3. Require Check Out = No
    4. Content Types = Allow Manage - Yes

Permissions on the Library are:
    Staff Appraisal List

KRPHome Owners is from root site, contains SPF_Admin and myself.
    StaffAppraisalMgr/User used only on a few lists in this sub-site which are all related to the Staff Appraisal System.

Permissions Levels from Above;

Contribute No Delete and View – Copy of Contribute but removes;

• Delete Items
    • Manage Personal Views

Manage List – See screenshot

Here are the permissions on one of the items;

Now when this user is getting the Read Only message I can add  the same contribute permissions to the form to another users and they can complete it successfully, which confirms the file is not locked? If I give the 1st user Full control, it still says read only but he can delete the form.

And to make things even more strange I also noticed that my account (the owner of the site list, etc) I also get read only on all items but I can delete them as well. All other staff so far don't get the read only message and can complete and submit forms successfully!

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated, but I am pretty much at the conclusion that Forms Libraries and auto generated forms from a SPD workflow is completely broken and its time to look for a completely new solution to workflow.

Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

• Edited by Stunpals Friday, December 7, 2018 9:41 PM How strange all pictures added are missing? MS must have coded this forum as well, surprise
    Friday, December 7, 2018 9:38 PM

All replies

• While doing more tests with the affected user, cuz my personality doesn't allow me to just give up, if that user that gets read only, uses the Download a Copy option from the context menu and then fills out the form and then uses my submit button, it allows those changes to be pushed back to the original form that was Read only.

The submit makes sense as that was built-in to the form but why is it read only when he opens from the Forms Library but its works when he submits using a copy?

This tells me the form and the rules/actions are all fine, but for some unknown reason ONLY on the forms library it opens as read only but still allows the same user to update it remotely?

• Edited by Stunpals Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:40 PM clarification
    Friday, December 7, 2018 10:27 PM
  • Hi,

Please check the size of the form.

See if the user has attached large files to the form to make the form file larger than 50 MB.

The form over 50 MB could cause the read-only issue.

Best Regards,

Linda

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, December 10, 2018 7:02 AM
  • Thanks for the response Linda.

I checked the file size and they are under 10KB. This is a very simple form template I created and its pretty much radio and dropdowns and one comment field. 

The issue only occurs for 3 staff now (found 1 more person today) and the form is auto generated with a SPD WF (the same way its is created for all other staff) and it is Read Only immediately. But as I mentioned, if I add the same permissions to another user the form can be submitted successfully.

I have 10 other staff that where it is working as expected and 3 that are having any read only issues. It's not making sense that 3 staff out of 13 have all their forms Read Only.

Monday, December 10, 2018 10:06 PM
  • Hi,

Try to give the user at least Read permission on the root site collection. Check if it works.

Best Regards,

Linda

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:15 AM
  • Currently all Domain Users are members of the Root Site called KRPHome have Read permission from the KRPHope Visitors built-in group.

Site Collection Tree

KRPHome (Root Site) (KRPHome Visitors - Read)

--->Job Tracking (Sub to Root) (KRPHome Visitors - Read)

------->Staff Appraisal List (on Job Tracking Site)  (StaffAppraisalUser - Contribute No Delete)

Note: Items auto created in the Staff Appraisal list via SPD WF, will explicitly add the [Eng Reviewer] with (Contribute No Delete) permissions. I did a Check Permissions at all 3 levels and the user has Read all the way to the Staff Appraisal list where the permissions are then elevated to Contribute No Delete. I have also tested Full permissions on the item but it still says Read Only.

If the file was actually read only then wouldn't that stop the same denied user from using the Download Copy and then submitting the form which successfully updates the original form in the Staff Appraisal list which said it was read only? And the fact this is only occurring to 3 staff doesn't make sense.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:06 PM
  • I took a look at the InfoPath form to see if there could be something on the form load but nothing I can see there would be the cause to specific staff. And from the available actions I can't see anything that could cause the form to be [Read Only], let a lone to a specific user only.

The rules are pretty much if a condition is met the auto populate a field with a value of the current user, eg [Appraiser] if blank is populated with the current users name. There are a few other fields that get populated if they are blank which go back to the list to find the values.

Can someone confirm, if an InfoPath form in a Forms Library is listed as read only to User A, and that user makes a copy and completes the form, should User A be able to update the original form in the SP Library by submitting the data from the copy?

If the original is read only then shouldn't the update from the Copy be blocked/denied?

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:34 PM
  • Can anyone explain why an InfoPath form is Read-Only when opened from the Forms Library but if the same user downloads a copy, completes the form and then submits it back to the same list, which updates the form that is reporting Read-Only, is updated without error?

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 5:29 PM
  • I decided to to more testing to see if I could find some consistency to why/when forms are read only.

User 1: Owner of list
    User 2: Std user (with contribute on list, full access added on specific items for testing)
    Software: SPF 2013 (SPF), InfoPath Filler 2013 (IPF)

Test 1 - Different result depending on how the form is opened, eg web vs Windows Explorer

User 1 opens a IP form with IPF, the displays [Read-Only] in the title bar, then closes the form.
    User 2 opens the same IP form and has full access, closes the form.
    Repeat both steps no change.

1. User 1 opens the form, then User 2 opens the form (User1 Read-only, User2 full access)?
    2. User 1 opens the form via windows explorer, no Full access?

Test 2 - Some IP forms appear to be missing file association. 

User 1 opens library in Windows explorer and some forms are missing IPF icon, some will open when double clicked some produce an error.

No correlation between missing icon and Read-only unfortunately.

1. Sometimes when I right click and select open IPF will open other times I need to right click and use Open With and select "InfoPath (desktop)" to open it. But after that I can just double click the file and it opens even with the missing file association (Blank Icon). Then from that point forward it opens with a double click. Until...
    2. If I open via the webpage (IE 11) and close it with no changes, it goes back to the webdav error.
    3. During these same tests via Windows Explorer, I have seen the same file go from Read-only to full control back to read-only. This seem to occur after switching from opening it via web then explorer or visa versa.

During all my tests I have been checking [modified], [Version], if any workflows are firing and as far as I can tell there is no change from there. What is even harder to figure out is that in some cases the form that was open from the web started as Read-Only then becomes full access, then may go back to Read-Only.

There is no consistency other that something appears to be happening when changing between web and explorer to open the form.

Friday, January 11, 2019 8:19 PM