none
Layer Diagram should detect XAML DataTemplate dependencies RRS feed

• Question

• It would be extremely helpful if the Layer Diagram could detect dependencies in XAML files -- Resource Dictionaries, Controls, etc.  It should parse those files for referenced classes and generate the appropriate dependencies/validation.

One major use of this is to ensure that our data templates do not reference our models directly.  Instead, we want them to reference view models. 

When I add three layers into a new layer diagram, Views, ViewModels and Models and add a xaml page to Views, view models referenced by DataType (though it could be any valid type in xaml) and our Models to models, then VM to Model is detected but Views -> VM is not. 

It seems that the graph tool doesn't know how to parse the XAML....  Can this please be added...maybe for SP1?  Is the mechanism extensible, is it possible to add XAML support via an add-in?
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:00 PM

Answers

• Agreed, I would love this also, as well as BAML support for compiled assemblies.  Unfortunately we just didn't have enough time to get this into VS 2010, but I'll definitely add your request to help raise the priority of this in our feature list for future release.

-Chris.
    Visual Studio Team System Architecture.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 7:51 PM