I cannot find where to launch Visual Studio 12 :( RRS feed

• Question

• Usually when I install a program, it has some sort of convenient way to get it up and running. But for some reason I cannot find such a thing with VS 12. There's nothing in the start menu, nothing on the desktop, and I have looked all over the VS 12 directory for the file that I'm supposed to run. I feel like I'm searching for a needle in a haystack, when all I want to do is just to get the thing up and running. What is the EXACT file that I am looking for??
    Sunday, February 8, 2015 7:18 PM

Answers

• I found it. It's called "VS Express 2013 for Windows."

Now to figure out how to compile and run my .c files.

I think you got the wrong Express Edition.

The edition you have is for developing Windows Store apps. The edition you want for doing basic C/C++ programming is VS 2013 Express for Windows Desktop.

BTW, I agree with Mr. Monkeyboy. As you're going to have to install something else anyway, why not install the free Community Edition, which can do everything all 3 Express editions can do and more?

• Marked as answer by toll_booth Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:06 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2015 3:20 AM
  • EXACTLY which edition of VS 2013 did you install. The correct startup file for the full editions is devenv.exe and would be found where Brian told you.

However, if you installed an Express edition, the startup filenames are different.

Look in a folder like this one:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE

You should find the startup executable there. Depending on the Express edition, the name will be something like WDExpress.exe or VWDExpress.exe

• Marked as answer by Tina-Shi Monday, February 9, 2015 7:37 AM
    Sunday, February 8, 2015 11:24 PM

All replies

• Typical place is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

or

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

Sunday, February 8, 2015 7:35 PM
  • I looked in that Program Files x86 folder but did not find the file. Do I need to look elsewhere, or should I uninstall/reinstall?
    Sunday, February 8, 2015 8:40 PM
  • I looked in that Program Files x86 folder but did not find the file. Do I need to look elsewhere, or should I uninstall/reinstall?

Sounds like a good idea. Or try selecting the "Repair" option.

Sunday, February 8, 2015 9:43 PM
  • EXACTLY which edition of VS 2013 did you install. The correct startup file for the full editions is devenv.exe and would be found where Brian told you.

However, if you installed an Express edition, the startup filenames are different.

Look in a folder like this one:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE

You should find the startup executable there. Depending on the Express edition, the name will be something like WDExpress.exe or VWDExpress.exe

• Marked as answer by Tina-Shi Monday, February 9, 2015 7:37 AM
    Sunday, February 8, 2015 11:24 PM

Monday, February 9, 2015 2:49 AM
  • It went from VS 12 to VS Express 2013 for Windows. Hmmm.

Visual Studio 2013 Community edition is free and has probably everything all of the express editions have plus more. I would've installed that before an express edition.

La vida loca

Monday, February 9, 2015 2:53 AM

The edition you have is for developing Windows Store apps. The edition you want for doing basic C/C++ programming is VS 2013 Express for Windows Desktop.

BTW, I agree with Mr. Monkeyboy. As you're going to have to install something else anyway, why not install the free Community Edition, which can do everything all 3 Express editions can do and more?

• Marked as answer by toll_booth Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:06 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2015 3:20 AM
  • Hi toll_booth,

I think the pvdg42's suggestion is really help you, if possible, I suggest you try the pvdg42's suggestion check your issue.

>>I found it. It's called "VS Express 2013 for Windows."

In addition, since the pervious issue about finding where to launch Visual Studio 12, it is solved by the pvdg42's suggestion and one thread for one issue in our forum, so we will close this thread.

As you said the second issue about how to compile and run my .c files, I suggest you post a new case for the new issue in our forum. You could share the detailed information about the new issue in the new case such as what language you want to compile and run your .c file, which kind of project you want to create in the VS Express for Windows, we will follow up it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 9, 2015 7:37 AM

Thanks, I found it.

Now to figure out how to get it running. I haven't worked with VS in a long time; how would I, for instance, run Helloworld? Isn't there just some option somewhere to compile and then run it?

Monday, February 9, 2015 8:01 AM
  • Thanks, I found it.

Now to figure out how to get it running. I haven't worked with VS in a long time; how would I, for instance, run Helloworld? Isn't there just some option somewhere to compile and then run it?

Visual Studio works on a project model, so you will need to create a project of the correct type. To run a simple Hello World program, you need to:

1. Create a new, empty, C++ console project (FILE->New->Project...)

2. In the New Project Dialog, select Visual C++->Empty Project.

3. When the Empty Project opens, create a new source code file. (In Solution Explorer, right-click on the Source Files folder, then select Add->New Item...

4. In the New Item dialog, add a .cpp file (default name Source.cpp) or change the extension from .cpp to .c if you want to use the C compiler.

5. Double click on the new file to open it in the editor to add your source code, then BUILD->Build Solution to compile.

6. Once successfully compiled, DEBUG->Start Debugging to run your program.

Monday, February 9, 2015 3:32 PM
  • Thanks, I found it.

Visual Studio works on a project model, so you will need to create a project of the correct type. To run a simple Hello World program, you need to:

1. Create a new, empty, C++ console project (FILE->New->Project...)

2. In the New Project Dialog, select Visual C++->Empty Project.

3. When the Empty Project opens, create a new source code file. (In Solution Explorer, right-click on the Source Files folder, then select Add->New Item...

4. In the New Item dialog, add a .cpp file (default name Source.cpp) or change the extension from .cpp to .c if you want to use the C compiler.

5. Double click on the new file to open it in the editor to add your source code, then BUILD->Build Solution to compile.

6. Once successfully compiled, DEBUG->Start Debugging to run your program.

Thanks. I'm still having a few issues getting it going, but at least I've got VS up and running. I'll start a new thread about this.

Monday, February 9, 2015 11:55 PM