XAML editor unusably slow in VS2010 release RRS feed

• Question

• The heading says it all.  When trying to edit xaml (with or without preview) in a moderately sized project (main window with tag control containing 4 user controls), the IDE more or less stops when doing some editing.

It looks like what's happening is that as I type a character, the IDE goes off and tries to reparse everything and struggles.

The slow down is not consistent.  It happens in the User controls and on the main page.  It seems to happen more after the IDE has been used for a short while.  It runs the machine at approx 30% CPU whilst it is spinning, but is not tied to one core.

The machine is a twin dual core AMD machine running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with 16GB Ram.

I imagine that it's some aspect of one or more of the XAML files that's causing this, but I can't see how to work out what without starting again.  This has happened in the last few days, but I can't tie any particular change to it.

Look forward to some ideas!

Iain

Iain Downs
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:32 AM

Answers

• Thanks for raising a Connect bug to cover this question Iain, and for dropping me a line. We'll communicate status via the Connect bug and email now.

Mark

Mark Wilson-Thomas - Program Team - WPF & SL Designer for Visual Studio - posts are provided 'as-is'
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hi @Iain

I'm very sorry to hear that you're hitting this problem. I'd like to work with you to isolate it.

1. Based on your comments, I am guessing that you do not see any issues when you create a brand new WPF or Silverlight project on the same machine - this would be very useful to confirm?

2. Do you have access to another machine you could try the problem project on, and see if you see issues there too? If you do it would be helpful to try that.

3. The best way to work through this would be for you to raise a connect bug and supply (if you can) the project that is reproducing the issue for you on the connect bug. You can mark the bug as private if you would prefer only to share the project with Microsoft. This will allow us and you to keep track of the issue as we work on it.

For instructions on how to raise a connect bug, see Item 2 in this FAQ on our WPF/Silverlight Designer Blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wpfsldesigner/archive/2010/02/15/general-wpf-and-silverlight-designer-faq.aspx

If you raise a bug, please drop me an email at mwthomas at microsoft dot com with the Connect ID so I can expedite it through the system. The FAQ contains a pointer to a useful tool that will let you capture a performance trace for the slow behavior too, and that may well help us investigate the issue further.

4. In addition it would be good to understand if you have added or removed any software (including updates from Windows Update) to the machine in the time since the machine was last performing normally. You can use the performance and reliability monitor to look into this (just type reliability into the search box on your Win7 Start Menu to find this component and click on view reliability history - it will show a comprehensive chart with failures, app installs and other useful info charted by time with a "reliability index" showing how well your PC has been performing). If you've taken some changes in the relevant period, backing out those changes and/or using the rollback features to restore your PC to an earlier state may restore your performance.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Wilson-Thomas - Program Team - WPF & SL Designer for Visual Studio - posts are provided 'as-is'
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Thanks for raising a Connect bug to cover this question Iain, and for dropping me a line. We'll communicate status via the Connect bug and email now.

Mark

Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:22 PM
  • I'm still having this problem with VS 2010 today (VS 2010 SP1) on larger projects.  VS 2010 IDE is not usable now with any XAML/Designer content.

I've done the following to try to correct:

Purchase a new PC with i7-3960X at 4.3 Ghz, 32GB RAM, Intel 520 Series SSD, nVidia GTX570 and installed new Win7 Ultimate and VS 2010 SP1.  This made absolutely no difference to the performance of editing XAML in VS 2010.

So I tried these tips from these web sites:

Speed UP VS 2010 IDE

Increase VS 2010 2GB limit to 3GB

They made no difference to the performance problems of VS 2010.  I have two 3rd party controls, Telerik RadControls and Telerik Reporting.  My solution is a Silverlight 5 application with 17 projects (1 web project, 4 silverlight projects, 12 .NET 4.0 projects).  The main silverlight project contains 54 pages (user control and pages) and 68 sampledata (defined in App.xaml).  VS 2010 (devenv.exe) consumes about 1.3GB RAM while editing XAML.

I have no idea how to work around the slowness of VS 2010 IDE when working with XAML files?  It's so bad that I honestly can't work on the solution.

I've seen some crazy "solutions" such as deleting registry entries but most seem like they're just breaking functionality and not really fixing anything.

I know Microsoft are no longer interested in VS 2010 or Silverlight 5, but to prevent developers from creating large SL5 applications with an obvious serious flaw in VS 2010 XAML editor/designer seems a little extreme (even for Microsoft).

Rob

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:50 PM
  • I am having this issue as well, and have traced it to the RIA generated file (...web.g.cs).  Everytime I navigate away from the designer window to either the code pane, another file, anything, the web.g.cs file gets regenerated.  When you are dealing with a large Entity Model, this can mean a tone of code, in my case were talking 700K lines.  Why does this file need to be constantly be regenreated if no change is done to the model?  If you want to see the behavior, open the web.g.cs file, make an edit to a xaml file and navigate to a different pane.  You will get a message that the file has been modified outside of the editor, and prompt you to reload.  Look at the date time stamp of the file, and it has changed.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Same situation: a medium sized ria services project hangs VS2010 when editing xaml. I also tested the same project under VS2012 beta and it is still too slow.

Given that Microsoft stopped effort on silverlight, I think there is no chance to have this issue solved!

Saturday, September 1, 2012 7:13 PM