Multiple Instances of Metro Apps

Question

• Is there a way to run multiple instances of a Metro App?  In Windows 7 multiple instances of applications is easy. For example, I typically launch multiple instances of VS2010 and File Manager.  In Windows 8 I am also able to do this within the classic windows mode for these and other classic applications, but there does not seem to be away for Metro Apps? Am I missing something?
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 16:16:40 +0000, PeteJS wrote:

Is there a way to run multiple instances of a Metro App?? In Windows 7 multiple instances of applications is easy. For example, I typically launch multiple instances of VS2010 and File Manager.? In Windows 8 I am also able to do this?within the classic windows mode for these and other classic applications, but there does not seem to be away for Metro Apps? Am I missing something?

I don't know whether or not the Metro APIs allow this, but as an aside, not
    every Windows 7 app allows for multiple instances.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    The determined programmer can write a FORTRAN program in any language.

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Friday, September 16, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Is there some confusion here that Metro apps are actually expected to be useful for people who use computers to do real work?

The "one app on entire screen" metaphor is only reasonable for games or casual use.

Serious applications require multiple windows, the ability to see several things at a glance, and multitasking.

If Microsoft thinks otherwise, then Microsoft is no longer interested in making Operating Systems.  That would be a shame.

-Noel

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:45 PM
  • You still have the option to create traditional desktop apps as in the previous version of Windows 7.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:47 PM
  • Yes, but what you and I call "traditional" is already being labeled as "legacy" by Microsoft. It is clear that they are going to drive developers and users hard toward Metro apps, and eventually - probably not in Windows 9, but quite possibly in Windows 10 - drop support for them completely.

Plus, I LOVE some of the features of Metro apps. Package-based deployment, automatic sandboxing, and restricted device usage by default are all GREAT things that will go a long way toward improving the stability and reliability of the Windows OS. I WANT to take advantage of these things. But if they only way to do that is to saddle myself with the arbitrary restrictions that Microsoft is placing on Metro apps, its just not worth it.

Moderator | MCTS .NET 2.0 Web Applications | My Blog: http://www.commongenius.com
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:16 PM
  • At least for now, the legacy/traditional are in some cases the only and preferred mode for some types of application. For example, Word, Excel, kiosk are best on desktop. The Metro works well on tablet-style application like on iPod.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Yes, but that is ONLY because of the arbitrary restrictions that Microsoft is placing on Metro apps. There is no technical reason why traditional apps - including Office, Visual Studio, and other similar applications - couldn't take advantage of most of the features of Metro apps. But they won't, because of the little bitty box that Microsoft is forcing Metro apps into.
    Moderator | MCTS .NET 2.0 Web Applications | My Blog: http://www.commongenius.com
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Thanks Paul, I am aware that not every Windows 7 App allows multiple instances, but there are real advantages to permitting mulitple instances for some types of applications and I can envision that capability for some Metro Apps.  If multiple instances are not allowed for Metro Apps then this will influence the development strategy. 

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:56 PM