[UWP] [VS] DCOM Security - Unauthorized Access - Error Message 0x80070005: Trying to View Design Tool in Visual Studio 2015 Community RRS feed

• Question

• "Visual Studio" AND "Design tool" AND Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

In hopes of saving C drive space (NOT) I installed VS2015 on external hard drive. I'll eventually, I guess reinstall just on C drive since it didn't save space. Taking MVA tutorials and found a reoccurring issue with access denied for tutorial exercises. I went through steps for WMI Troubleshooting. It seemed to work once. But started another tutorial exercise and found same issue again. This time steps do not work because I've already ticked inside "Edit Limit" fields, per instructions below.

0x80070005–E_ACCESS_DENIED

Access denied by DCOM security.

The user does not have remote access to the computer through DCOM. Typically, DCOM errors occur when connecting to a remote computer with a different operating system version.

Give the user Remote Launch and Remote Activation permissions in dcomcnfg. Right-click My Computer-> Properties. Under COM Security, click "Edit Limits" for both sections. Give the user you want remote access, remote launch, and remote activation. Then go to DCOM Config, find "Windows Management Instrumentation", and give the user you want Remote Launch and Remote Activation. For more information, see Connecting Between Different Operating Systems

ERROR MESSAGE INSIDE VS2015

VS2015 DCOM security header message

System.UnauthorizedAccessException
    Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile(String path, Evidence evidence)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalProbeForSatelliteAssemblyNextToParentAssembly(AssemblyName an, String name, String codeBase, CultureInfo culture, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean useLoadFile, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalGetSatelliteAssembly(String name, CultureInfo culture, Version version, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.GetSatelliteAssembly(CultureInfo lookForCulture, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.GrovelForResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Dictionary`2 localResourceSets, Boolean tryParents, Boolean createIfNotExists, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo requestedCulture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
       at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name, CultureInfo culture, Boolean wrapUnmanagedMemStream)
       at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetStream(String name, CultureInfo culture)
       at MS.Internal.Resources.ResourceManagerWrapper.GetStream(String name)
       at MS.Internal.AppModel.ResourcePart.EnsureResourceLocationSet()
       at MS.Internal.AppModel.ResourcePart.GetStreamCore(FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
       at System.IO.Packaging.PackagePart.GetStream(FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
       at System.IO.Packaging.PackWebResponse.CachedResponse.GetResponseStream()
       at System.IO.Packaging.PackWebResponse.GetResponseStream()
       at System.IO.Packaging.PackWebResponse.get_ContentType()
       at MS.Internal.WpfWebRequestHelper.GetContentType(WebResponse response)
       at System.Windows.ResourceDictionary.set_Source(Uri value)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.Designer.UI.ThemeContext.UpdateResource(String resourceName, String resourceUrl)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.Designer.UI.ThemeContext..ctor(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, DesignerContext designerContext)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.Designer.DesignerContext.InitializeDesignerViewComponents()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.Designer.DesignerService.InitializeDesignerViewComponents()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.Designer.DesignerService.CreateDesigner(IHostSourceItem item, IHostTextEditor editor, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.RemoteDesignerService.<>c__DisplayClass12_0.<Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.IRemoteDesignerService.CreateDesigner>b__0(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.RemoteDesignerService.<>c__DisplayClass6_0`1.<MarshalInWithCancellation>b__0()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.Call.InvokeWorker()

I am at a loss. How can I get the VS2015 Designer tool to show?

Newbie enough to get myself into trouble. :0) Eyes are crossed and growth is pain ... but working on it.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:50 PM

All replies

• IMAGE 1

IMAGE 2

Newbie enough to get myself into trouble. :0) Eyes are crossed and growth is pain ... but working on it.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:30 PM
  • Hi GeneralB,

An administrator or a MOF file can configure a WMI namespace so that no data is returned unless you use packet      privacy (RPC_C_AUTHN_LEVEL_PKT_PRIVACY or PktPrivacy as a      moniker in a script) in a connection to that namespace. This ensures that data is encrypted as it crosses the      network. If you try to set a lower authentication level, you will get an access denied message.

For more information, please refer to:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa393266(v=vs.85).aspx

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:53 AM
  • Thank you, Cole. I will look into your suggested solution.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 12:31 AM