What to do with Linked Mailboxes? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small number of users from a trusted forest that use linked mailboxes.  I was in the middle of working out syncing and filtering in AzureAD.  I was going to do all OU's but do a negative filtering as the online documentation suggest\shows examples of.  I was going to filter using customattribute15 and realized I didn't have that attribute in this trusted forest.  Now I need to figure out what I'll be doing with Linked Mailboxes.

I don't feel I have enough information from online documentation on what to do with Linked Mailboxes.

Will Linked Mailboxes sync?  I just can't seem to find a yes.  I did find a forum response that said no.

If Linked Mailboxes don't sync, what would the best course of action be taken knowing you plan on moving email over?

David Jenkins

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 8:31 PM

Answers

• So the Linked Mailbox would be on a Resource Forest. In this case, you would have to sync the resource forest as well and when you are running Azure AD you have to specify the same attribute that has been used on the On-Premise to link the Users from the Active Forest and the Resource Forest. When you do that, the user would be matched from both the forests and sync'd as a single user object to the Azure AD Tenant and the Linked Mailbox also would be sync'd.

Refer this for the Topology you would have to follow while configuring the Synchronization.

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or Up-Vote. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here

Thursday, August 2, 2018 7:58 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, August 1, 2018 8:45 PM
  • So the Linked Mailbox would be on a Resource Forest. In this case, you would have to sync the resource forest as well and when you are running Azure AD you have to specify the same attribute that has been used on the On-Premise to link the Users from the Active Forest and the Resource Forest. When you do that, the user would be matched from both the forests and sync'd as a single user object to the Azure AD Tenant and the Linked Mailbox also would be sync'd.

Refer this for the Topology you would have to follow while configuring the Synchronization.

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or Up-Vote. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here

Thursday, August 2, 2018 7:58 AM
  • Just checking in if you have had a chance to see the previous response. If that answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same. If you have any further query, then do let us know.
    Saturday, August 4, 2018 10:34 AM