none
Password recovery in Windows Forms application ( C#)

Question

• I have an application where there are few types of users. Now, I have to implement the password recovery feature.

As I said, there are different users, and of course among them there are admins. Admins can add, delete, or update current users. Which means, they can update their passwords if needed. But still, that requires a communication between administrator and a user, which I want to avoid. So what I want is to let the user a possibility to reset its own password. I wonder which technique is preferred in this case ? 

If this was a web based app, I would just send a link to the the user's email, which will take the user back on the Password Reset Form... But I wonder what would be a preferred way for a desktop (C#) app?

Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:53 PM

Answers

• High level, send them an email with some sort of key, have them login with the key for the password which in turn your code recognizes this as a temp password and prompts them to enter a new password.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by wh1rlw1nd Saturday, April 29, 2017 11:32 PM
    Saturday, April 29, 2017 10:47 PM

All replies

• High level, send them an email with some sort of key, have them login with the key for the password which in turn your code recognizes this as a temp password and prompts them to enter a new password.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by wh1rlw1nd Saturday, April 29, 2017 11:32 PM
    Saturday, April 29, 2017 10:47 PM
  • Hi Karen... Thanks for your response...Just to confirm...You were thinking about sending a key, so that user can manually copy and paste it into the login form (as a temporary password) ?
    Saturday, April 29, 2017 11:14 PM
  • Yes that is what I am saying.

VB Forums - moderator

Saturday, April 29, 2017 11:19 PM