Web Deployment Project error - access denied RRS feed

• Question

• User-1786799855 posted

Hi,

i'm new to web deployment projects.  I have one working to deploy my webapp to a server, and it works fine.  When I try to change the outputPath to another server, it does not work.  I get error:

ASPNETCOMPILER : error ASPRUNTIME: Access to the path '\\stage\E$\www\ttw\bin\pcs.master.cdcab7d2.compiled' is denied.
        The command exited with code 1.

I've cleared out the folder where it's deploying to, and there are no files in this location.  The iis setups are mostly the same on both servers.  I've read the deployment project article, so I'm thinking of trying to tell it to skip this file before the build, using MSBuild, but I'm not sure that will help. 

The only thing I can find different on these servers is on the Properties>Web Sharing tab, on one it is shared under a certain iis site, but on the one I'm having a problem it's not. 

It's killing me bcz I think this has worked in the past, but now I don't know what hte deal is with this file.  It was using a master file before, but now I don't even need it, so how can I stop VS from even trying to deploy this?  Thanks.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:33 AM

Answers

• User372121194 posted

Hi,

ASPNETCOMPILER : error ASPRUNTIME: Access to the path '\\stage\E$\www\ttw\bin\pcs.master.cdcab7d2.compiled' is denied.

The error message means that the account that executes Web Deployment project does not have permissions (such as Modify) on this path. So when WDP tries to create file on target folder, you get this error. To resolve this, we can try to share this folder and set Change or Full Control to EveryOne or the account mentioned above.

We can specify which projects to build by creating new configuration from WDP. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx (Section: Managing Custom Build Configurations).

I look forward to hearing from you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 20, 2008 2:46 AM

All replies

• User-1786799855 posted

Also, if I want the .deploy to exclude a folder, as follows:

<ItemGroup>
    <ExcludeFromBuild Include="$(SourceWebPhysicalPath)\Test\**\*.*"/>
    </ItemGroup>
     That's great, but how do I get it to not delete the one in the outputPath directory.  It's some content management system, standard code that I dont' need to change that totals 182mb, so I don't want to build it everytime?
    Thanks. 

Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:29 PM
  • User372121194 posted

Hi,

The error message means that the account that executes Web Deployment project does not have permissions (such as Modify) on this path. So when WDP tries to create file on target folder, you get this error. To resolve this, we can try to share this folder and set Change or Full Control to EveryOne or the account mentioned above.

We can specify which projects to build by creating new configuration from WDP. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx (Section: Managing Custom Build Configurations).

I look forward to hearing from you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 20, 2008 2:46 AM