none
re-installing .net framework 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I need to uninstall .net framework 2.0 in order to reinstall it because of a possible corruption issue. The problem is when I attempt to uninstall it, I get a message telling me that it can't be uninstalled because too many programs would be affected. Is there a way that I can force it to uninstall?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:32 PM

Answers

• Do you have .NET 3.0/3.5 installed?  You can't uninstall 2.0 without first uninstalling the later versions (in descending order).

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:33 AM

All replies

• Do you have .NET 3.0/3.5 installed?  You can't uninstall 2.0 without first uninstalling the later versions (in descending order).

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:33 AM
  • Hi Brian, yes 3.5 is installed, so perhaps that is why I am getting the error, when I sucessfully remove all of them and its time to re-install, will I need 3.0, or can I just jump to 3.5?
    Also, since I am using these within Visual Studio,  would I want to download the runtimes or the redistributables?

Thanks,
    allan
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:18 AM
  •  

Actually, when you uninstall them all (3.5,3.0, and 2.0) you could actually just run the 3.5 installer and it will handle installing everything below for you.

I would use the dotNetFx35setup.exe, which is the bootstrapper install.  You can find it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6&DisplayLang=en

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:43 PM
  • I am having the same "uninstall" problem, when trying to remove 2.0.  However, I do not have 3.5 installed yet.  Suggestions on how to uninstall 2.0?

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:06 PM
  • I've got a couple of questions for you:

Do you have any other .NET pieces installed, like the compact framework? 

Could you please post the specific error message you're getting?

What OS and architecture are you running on?

Thanks.
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Actually, I was able to get rid of 2.0 by using the Windows Cleanup Utility, then reinstalling it.  All works fine now.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:24 PM