Unable to Launch VM RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to launch a VM into a virtual network, azure won't allow it.  Actually, I can't launch any VM's now:

Error 1 no virtual network:

The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request. The long running operation tracking ID was: 6382755e7e474a638ea605707bdf668e.

Error 2, virtual network:

The hosted service does not support deployments including virtual machines. Please check the location of the hosted service.

Browser: 5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/536.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/19.0.1084.52 Safari/536.5
    User language: undefined
    Portal Version: 6.0.6002.18488 (rd_auxportal_stable.120605-1747)
    Subscriptions: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    User email address: xxxxx@yyyy.zzz

Living the dream http://conchadeltoro.com

• Edited by lucuma Friday, June 8, 2012 8:05 PM
    Friday, June 8, 2012 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hey lucuma,

There are two potential reasons for this issue. First, this is the error you would see if you did not have access to the Windows Azure Virtual Machine preview. However, that is not likely your issue since it sounds like you were deploying VMs successfully before.

The second more likely problem is that your Windows Azure Storage account being used must be in the same sub-region as the Virtual Machine you are deploying. The error message above is not very clear, but if the storage account is not in the same sub-region as the Virtual Machine (or affinity group of your Virtual Network), it will fail with the above error. Please try selecting (or creating) a storage account in that sub-region and see if that resolves your issue.

Corey

Friday, June 8, 2012 10:19 PM

All replies

• Hey lucuma,

There are two potential reasons for this issue. First, this is the error you would see if you did not have access to the Windows Azure Virtual Machine preview. However, that is not likely your issue since it sounds like you were deploying VMs successfully before.

The second more likely problem is that your Windows Azure Storage account being used must be in the same sub-region as the Virtual Machine you are deploying. The error message above is not very clear, but if the storage account is not in the same sub-region as the Virtual Machine (or affinity group of your Virtual Network), it will fail with the above error. Please try selecting (or creating) a storage account in that sub-region and see if that resolves your issue.

Corey

Friday, June 8, 2012 10:19 PM
  • I had setup an affinity group in South USA and that seems to be the issue since VM's only support East and West USA.  I will try to move everything to East to see what happens.

Living the dream http://conchadeltoro.com

Saturday, June 9, 2012 3:00 PM
  • Thanks, Lucuma. I hope that resolves the issue. Please come back and let us know if it didn't.
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 2:36 AM