Question on the implementation of table storage Secondary Index? RRS feed

• Question

• I see the Table Storage secondary index feature is marked with planned for future release, I'd like to know how exactly this feature will work?  Right now I'm designing for a new project and I'd like to see if I could design with this feature in mind.   Right now we have "PartitionKey" and "RowKey", will there be a column named "SecondaryKey" added or will we be able to point at any existing column and make it the second index,  could someone explain?  Thanks.
    • Edited by ray247ray Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:47 PM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>Are you allowed to let us know if you guys are going down the path where we could just label any existing column and make it the secondary index? 

No. Due to NDA we're not allowed to disclose such information before official announcement. I have seen you posted this good suggestion on the feature vote page. Thanks a lot! I'll also help to forward this suggestion internally.

Allen Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by ray247ray Thursday, September 8, 2011 2:21 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunately we have nothing could share for this issue in the public forum. If my understanding is correct, the purpose of this post is to ask whether you need to make big code changes for your application to adopt future secondary index feature (if there is). As this feature is still in plan stage we appreciate any feedbacks and I agree your point (minimized works/changes to adopt new feature) is very good. You're appreciated to add a comment on the feature vote page to highlight this point. I believe we'll take it into consideration.

Allen Chen [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Yeah, certainly not needing to make big code changes for our existing app would be great when this feature comes out, and that is my point of this post. 

Are you allowed to let us know if you guys are going down the path where we could just label any existing column and make it the secondary index?  This would be super to avoid big code change.  Thanks!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Hi,

>Are you allowed to let us know if you guys are going down the path where we could just label any existing column and make it the secondary index? 

No. Due to NDA we're not allowed to disclose such information before official announcement. I have seen you posted this good suggestion on the feature vote page. Thanks a lot! I'll also help to forward this suggestion internally.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by ray247ray Thursday, September 8, 2011 2:21 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 1:54 AM