crash dump vs2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app that has been crashing so I changed it to create a crash.dmp when it crashes.

Now on a user's system the app crashes and a dmp file is created. When I attempt to use the dmp file on my development system I get a message dialog stating where the crash occurs but I think it's BS. So my question is the user's system is XP 32 bit SP3, my developement system is Win7 64 bit so is this possible? The crash indicates it's in the shell.dll at CFSFolder::GetDetailsEx() (deep in the stack). Now if I look at the crash.xml file and find the starting address of shell.dll and add it's length the violating address is NOT in the shell.

So do I need a developement environment of the crashing system (XP SP3). I have simulated a crash on my dev system and when I go to debug it it points at the correct location.

So, any help is appreciated.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi GSP_T,

Do you mean that you want to debug this dump in Windows 7 64 bit?

As far as I know, we must be running on a 64bit operating system to debug a 64bit dump.

Reference:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/debugger/archive/2009/12/30/what-is-a-dump-and-how-do-i-create-one.aspx

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4000420/debugging-dump-of-32-bit-process-captured-on-64-bit-machine

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:49 AM
  • Sorry for the long wait (reply) busy

The setup is this:

User is running on a Windows XP (SP3 - 32 bits OS) computer when crash occurs.

My development setup is a Windows 7 64 bit

Thanks for the links which I will have to read.

Again thanks for the reply

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:44 PM
  • You're welcome! J

I’m afraid that we would use the 32bit operating system to debug a 32bit dump.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:35 AM