Migrate SQL 2000 to higher version RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows server 2008 , which running MS SQL server 2000 , IIS , ASP , it is web server .

As I am not sure if the ASP application can be run on the new version of windows server / SQL server , therefore , I prefer install the previous version eg . SQL 2008 etc , if it is OK , I will consider to use SQL 2016.

Could advise the way / tool that can migrate everything from SQL 2000 to high version ? what is the simpler way to do that ? I can use management studio to export from SQL 2000 ?

thanks

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:11 PM

All replies

• You can back up all databased from the SQL 2000 and then restore them to the SQL 2008. ASP should work with the SQL 2008.

A Fan of SSIS, SSRS and SSAS

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:36 PM
  • I used Microsoft SQL Server 2000 many years ago, and I upgraded the operating system years ago. You will need to upgrade the version of Microsoft SQL Server as well.

You have to note in Microsoft SQL Server how is the minimum memory and maximum memory setting, and note what is the language code that is installed on it.

Make it a REINDEX to rebuild the index files, and then back up all SQL files.

After you change the operating system and install Microsoft SQL Server again, you will need this configuration information so that the database can function as it was before.

You may have to review the maximum and minimum memory settings in SQL if the new computer is much more powerful than the old one.

Ana Gauna | www.anagauna.eti.br | If I helped you, mark the answer as useful

Monday, December 9, 2019 3:50 PM
  • Hi Derek Chan 456,

>>Could advise the way / tool that can migrate everything from SQL 2000 to high version ? what is the simpler way to do that ?

You can use backup and restore database to achieve this. Windows server 2008 is not supported for installing SQL server 2016, if you want to install SQL server 2016, you need to upgrade your OS version. Please refer to Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server.

You can try to back up SQL server 2000 databases and restore them to SQL server 2008R2, please note to change the SQL server database compatibility level. Please refer to The Importance of Database Compatibility Level in SQL ServerView or Change the Compatibility Level of a Database.

Then please migrate SQL server 2008 R2 database to SQL server 2016.

>> I can use management studio to export from SQL 2000 ?

No, this tool in SQL Server Management Studio allows you to copy data from tables and views only. It doesn’t import/export other objects such as stored procedures. So it doesn’t meet your requirement.  

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:12 AM