Can't uninstall Spec Explorer 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully installed Spec Explorer 3.5 a while ago, but have not had occasion to use it. VS2010 has been slowing down recently, so I thought I'd uninstall the extensions that I'm not actively using.

Spec Explorer appeared to uninstall successfully, and no longer appears in ‘Programs and Features’. However, it still appears in my VS2010 toolbar and appears to function.

I tried re-installing it and uninstalling again with the same result.

How can I remove Spec Explorer from VS2010?

VS2010, latest updates, Win 7 Ultimate x64.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hi, Casterle,

Is that because you did not close the VS instance when uninstalling it? Maybe you can try the following step (assuming you installed it under default installation path, otherwise, use the path accordingly):

1. Close all VS2010 instances.

2. Uninstall Spec Explorer

3. Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Spec Explorer 2010", remove all files.

4. Go to "C:\Windows\assembly", uninstall Microsoft.SpecExplorer.ObjectModel, Microsoft.SpecExplorer.Runtime, Microsoft.SpecExplorer.Runtime.VisualStudio, Microsoft.Xrt.Runtime.

If it still does not work, you can contact me via xiangli@microsoft.com

Monday, August 15, 2011 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hi, Casterle,

Is that because you did not close the VS instance when uninstalling it? Maybe you can try the following step (assuming you installed it under default installation path, otherwise, use the path accordingly):

1. Close all VS2010 instances.

2. Uninstall Spec Explorer

3. Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Spec Explorer 2010", remove all files.

4. Go to "C:\Windows\assembly", uninstall Microsoft.SpecExplorer.ObjectModel, Microsoft.SpecExplorer.Runtime, Microsoft.SpecExplorer.Runtime.VisualStudio, Microsoft.Xrt.Runtime.

If it still does not work, you can contact me via xiangli@microsoft.com

Monday, August 15, 2011 8:17 AM
  • Since this question is discussed in email thread, mark the original one as answered.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:08 AM