none
Can my Visual Web Dev Express 2010 Default to .net 3.5 instead of .net 4? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Visual Web Dev Express 2010 to make a simple website. My host provider doesn't support .net 4.  All new projects/websites default to .net 4 and when i change them to .net 3.5, there are many errors that i need to fix.  Can i configure Web Dev Express 2010 to default to .net 3.5 when it opens a new project or website?

Friday, February 26, 2010 6:21 PM

Answers

• Hi AllenJeffrey,

Thank you for your post.

As far as I know, as soon as Visual Studio is being closed, the settings of IDE are stored as user settings on the machine.
    Thus, for your concern, you can go to File menu >> New Project >> Set the target framework to ".NET Framework 3.5".
    Please check the following screen shot:

Next time you create a new project, the target framework will be set to 3.5 by default.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi AllenJeffrey,

Thank you for your post.

As far as I know, as soon as Visual Studio is being closed, the settings of IDE are stored as user settings on the machine.
    Thus, for your concern, you can go to File menu >> New Project >> Set the target framework to ".NET Framework 3.5".
    Please check the following screen shot:

Next time you create a new project, the target framework will be set to 3.5 by default.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 9:57 AM
  • A bit of an afterthought...  It seems obvious, but before you can target an older framework, that framework must be installed on your system.  I wasn't upgrading projects, but started on a Win7 box with Web Dev Express 2010, and couldn't figure out how to select the target platform.  I ran across a posting on how to do it in Visual Studio, but didn't have the platform selection pick list in the new project interface.

Another "obvious" note... don't try to download/install .Net 3.5.  You can't.  You "enable" in the Programs and Features applet.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 5:24 PM