Table type vs. Dynaset,which one should I use? RRS feed

• Question

• my access project consist of a Front end and a Back end.I have a query in one of my  froms that return 1000 records.I want to enhance the performance( this query on my form takes 5 seconds to show me the records)

I want to change the Recordset but I dont know exactly which one( Dynaset  or table type) is suitable for my scenario.What do you mean?would you please inform me if possible?

thank you so much

Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:46 PM

Answers

• Take a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff197799.aspx.

One of the things it mentions is

"Only dynaset-type or snapshot-type Recordset objects can be created with linked tables or tables in Microsoft Access database engine-connected ODBC databases."

So the table-type, forward-only-type and dynamic-type recordsets are not available for linked tables.

A snapshot-type is fine if you only need to read the records, but if you want to edit them, as you already know, you need a dynaset-type.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by babak.per Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:32 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:41 PM

All replies

• For linked tables, use Dynaset. Otherwise, the recordset may have limited functionality.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:05 PM
  • thank you very much for your answer

but can I know from which technical reason I should use Dynaset in linked tables? I try to find an article about the working of table object but did not find. If you  know any references it is very nice from you that you offer me these references

Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Take a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff197799.aspx.

One of the things it mentions is

"Only dynaset-type or snapshot-type Recordset objects can be created with linked tables or tables in Microsoft Access database engine-connected ODBC databases."

So the table-type, forward-only-type and dynamic-type recordsets are not available for linked tables.

A snapshot-type is fine if you only need to read the records, but if you want to edit them, as you already know, you need a dynaset-type.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by babak.per Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:32 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:41 PM