VFP and mobile applications RRS feed

• Question

• Do you think is possible that in the  VFP's community of programmers can develope tools to create mobile applications for windows phone 8 or VFP core will make it not avalaible?

Saturday, April 27, 2013 9:53 PM

Answers

• VFP requires Intel processor and full Windows installation. Windows mobile or Windows RT does not support VFP.

So you could use Terminal services or look at Guineu: http://guineu.foxpert.com/ (I am just not sure what platforms it supports today)

• Marked as answer by Youen Zen Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:06 AM
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

Pavel gave you an option in your question from April 23 (is it wise to START developing software in VFP) by mentioning ActiveVFP.

However, in case you want to develop a NEW app (and in that case it doesn't matter if it is based on an older already existing app), then you definetely shouldn't use VFP anymore. After nearly 20 years of using FP/VFP myself, it is still my favorite tool, but as soon as I have to develop something new, then it won't be done with VFP anymore. IMHO, you should take this opportunity to switch to a up-to-date language that gives you all options for your new app. This could be Visual Studio (perhaps together with DevExpress), or any of all the other languages that were discussed in this or all those other VFP forums over the last years.

With other words: The old dakota wisdom about dismounting a dead horse makes no sense, as long as you have to maintain an existing business app written in VFP. But reanimating a dead horse just for riding it another hundred miles instead of buying a new one doesn't make sense...

JM2C ;-)

Gruss / Best regards
    -Tom
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible,
    you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. 010101100100011001010000011110000101001001101111011000110110101101110011

Monday, April 29, 2013 9:22 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• VFP requires Intel processor and full Windows installation. Windows mobile or Windows RT does not support VFP.

So you could use Terminal services or look at Guineu: http://guineu.foxpert.com/ (I am just not sure what platforms it supports today)

Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

Pavel gave you an option in your question from April 23 (is it wise to START developing software in VFP) by mentioning ActiveVFP.

However, in case you want to develop a NEW app (and in that case it doesn't matter if it is based on an older already existing app), then you definetely shouldn't use VFP anymore. After nearly 20 years of using FP/VFP myself, it is still my favorite tool, but as soon as I have to develop something new, then it won't be done with VFP anymore. IMHO, you should take this opportunity to switch to a up-to-date language that gives you all options for your new app. This could be Visual Studio (perhaps together with DevExpress), or any of all the other languages that were discussed in this or all those other VFP forums over the last years.

With other words: The old dakota wisdom about dismounting a dead horse makes no sense, as long as you have to maintain an existing business app written in VFP. But reanimating a dead horse just for riding it another hundred miles instead of buying a new one doesn't make sense...

JM2C ;-)

Gruss / Best regards
    -Tom
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible,
    you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. 010101100100011001010000011110000101001001101111011000110110101101110011

Monday, April 29, 2013 9:22 AM
    Answerer