Are you guys going to change multitasking with metro

General discussion

• The one thing that has really been troubling me with Metro is that multitasking is very confusing. If users are done using the App and have no further need for it then all they have to do is go back to the Start screen. Great so far. But when I am switching between the ones that I am shifting my attention on, the app is still there. What I would think would be a really cool concept is adding an close button. Hear me out here. The suspend feature is really cool for computers with more then 1 GB of RAM but when resources are limited the OS cuts the apps that are taking too much memory. All of a sudden the app I wanted to switch to isn't there and have to go back to the start screen to load it again. My suggestion is to let all apps that are not active be suspended even the apps closed out of (Like as it is now) but let the OS remember which suspended apps were closed out of and when resources are low end those apps while also removing it from Alt + Tab while closed/suspended. With this users can go back to that closed app un-suspending it (faster load times (I think)) . I'm pretty sure developers won't read this but it is nice to put my thoughts out there.

• Changed type MainstreamGamer Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:27 AM Do other people think the same thing
    • Edited by MainstreamGamer Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:08 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:07 AM

All replies

• Just adding my two cents, but this sounds like a good idea. It'd address my main issue with not being able to close Metro apps, which is is the fact that, even if they're suspended, they still appear when one uses Alt+Tab. If you don't kill them through Task Manager, they eventually clutter up the task switcher. This would take care of that issue.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:19 AM
  • The one thing that has really been troubling me with Metro is that multitasking is very confusing.
    For me, the most important thing is to get the unwanted apps out of the task switcher.

Personally, I would rather just close them.

But if in fact they are just suspended (but hidden), then I like your suggestion to preferentially unload the unwanted apps when resources are are low.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:55 AM
  • Developers do have the ability to add a close option to their apps. I have tested it and it works great. Only problem is that when the app closes it leaves you with a blank green screen. Simply clicking in the screen anywhere brings back the normal Start screen. There has been discussion about this in the C# developer forum and MS is aware that developers would like to use this option AND have it return to the Start screen.
    David
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:39 PM