none
EW 3 SP2 Workspace Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!  Running EW3 SP2 under Win 7 (64-bit).  Using default scheme for workspace.  The titles on the three show buttons at the bottom of the Editing Window are missing, although the tool tips correctly identify each blank button.  Likewise, at the top of the Editing Window, the Web Page Tabs are blank, but again the associated tool tip shows the correct identity.  Have reinstalled SP2, but that did nothing.

Any suggestions, please?

Could there be a theme file for EW somerwhere, which I could edit to restore 'white' as the color for tab/control text?

THX

Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:17 PM

All replies

• First, if you have the retail version of EW3, either box or download (as opposed to MSDN, DreamSpark, etc.), you are entitled to a free upgrade to EW4. If so, you might wish to simply download and install EW4. It will detect your EW3 license and automatically activate.

If not, or if you just want to try to resolve this, you could try Steve's FPCleaner. I don't know that it would have a lot of effect on the EW interface itself, but it might, and it's free, so it doesn't hurt to try it.

Also, IIRC, we have had issues here with captions, labels, dropdown values, etc. that didn't appear, and they were traced to a problem with MSXML. I don't want to run the search right now (which would hose this message), but you might want to use the Forum Search tool, above, to search on "MSXML." There haven't been that many references to it on the forum, and most that I recall were in reference to issues such as this.

<edit>
    Ah, I knew I had seen something like this before. Here's the thread I was thinking of earlier (found by searching on MSXML ;-):

That doesn't have anything to do with WPF, since that code is entirely Win32. Sorry for not speaking up sooner but I hadn't understood where this problem was until I saw the picture. That might be the MSXML problem that has cropped up on occasion, where an incomplete or corrupt installation of MSXML6 causes problems. If so, the solution is to go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall MSXML6, then reinstall it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=993c0bcf-3bcf-4009-be21-27e85e1857b1&displaylang=en. After you've installed run Windows Update a time or two to make sure that you've got the latest and greatest, then run Expression Web again.

Paul Bartholomew
    Microsoft Expression Web

There you have it, straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak (Paul was, at the time, a program lead for EW development). Give that a try and see if it addresses your probelm.
    </edit>

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:36 PM
  • Try setting it to use windows color scheme in application options.
    Expression Web MVP
    Monday, March 21, 2011 11:59 AM
  • THX for the suggestions, but neither idea worked.  Since posting I have upgraded to EW 4, and now I can see the text displayed inside the page tabs at the top of the editor window.  But the text on the View buttons at the bottom remains invisible.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 3:11 AM