Sharepoint 2010 incoming e-mail with hosted Exchange RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We have SharePoint 2010 installed locally but Exchange 2010 hosted. We don't have access to the Exchange system, just a front-end control panel/website.

Are we able to configure incoming e-mail with this setup? Everything I'm reading talks about needing Exchange installed locally.

I was hoping SharePoint was able to poll a mailbox if we give it login credentials, much like Dynamics CRM does, however it looks like it only supports monitoring a local SMTP server. I don't know how I can get the e-mails to this local SMTP server without opening up my SP server to the internet and registering MX records etc.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:16 PM

Answers

• This is a good scenario for running a hybrid configuration of Exchange.  You do need the Exchange 2003 or higher schema in Active Directory in order to leverage Incoming Email, but that doesn't require Exchange to actually be installed.

For Incoming Email, all you do on the SharePoint side is point it to a drop folder (a folder on the file system).  As long as you can deliver that mail to the drop folder, you'll be set.  This will likely require you to configure an SMTP server on-prem and have email forwarded to it by your hosted solution, or set up a secondary domain (sharepoint.mycompany.com for example) that has properly configured MX records and have an on-prem SMTP server that responds to the domain.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by star.wars Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:08 AM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 3:48 PM